Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

garethmob

collimating celestron 15X70s

well my celestrons are out of somthing i think its collimation

i'll try my best to describe

i can look through each side fine

but if i try to look through the 2 it seems the murge isnt right and my head hurts.

i sent a message back to where i got them when they were on offer and i was basacally told that either i can do them my self or send it to another company who possiably charge a lot to do so.... so no good service there unfortunatly :D

i attempted to do it my self folling a few websites and in the process rounded a really small screw on the ;left side right by the eyepeice :'(

i do really like these bins so fixing them is important to me

thanks guys

Assuming they are the same as the Revelation 15x70 you could try this.

The two front objective tubes are screwed into the main body.

The front lenses are offset in the front of the tube.

First check that both tubes are screwed in securely.

If not then tightening them up might restore collimation.

If still not aligned then try unscrewing one or other tube a little while looking through the binos, you should see the images coming into alignment.

I found that unscrewing the left hand tube about 1/4 turn had the desired effect.

A spot of glue then held the tube in this position perfectly, no need to mess about with prism screws. I found a nearby TV aerial was a good test target to view while adjusting.

Thanks guys. I'll give them a go I'm at a hospital now waiting for the missis to have a interview. Bored in the car lol wish I bought them with me now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just stumbled across this thread and I've managed to successfully collimate my cheap pocket 12x30 bins. I was about to bin them, as they were absolutely miles out! :(

I had no idea they had adustment screws in them. :)

Upon testing, my Celestron 15x70 Skymasters look fine, though. :D

Thanks for the links, guys!

I have been through this process myself with my Celeston 20x80s. The technique shown in the Oberwork tutorial works fine. Just be sure not to move the screws too much at a time.

Hi Topdude, one of my objective tubes seems to have been screwed in incorrectly (possibly cross-threaded). I would like to remove it and try to reseat it correctly. How did you loosen the tube? Mine is quite tight and I do not want to use unnecessary force. Thanks!

Hi Topdude, one of my objective tubes seems to have been screwed in incorrectly (possibly cross-threaded). I would like to remove it and try to reseat it correctly. How did you loosen the tube? Mine is quite tight and I do not want to use unnecessary force. Thanks!

Hi and welcome to SGL. I'm not Topdude, but as this is an old thread, hope you don't mind me chipping in.

Are you sure that one of the objective tubes is incorrectly fitted ? If there is an uneven gap where it joins the body, that could indicate a problem.

I'd make sure there is a problem by checking collimation at night on a bright star or planet. A good way is to tripod mount the bins, then put the bright star at one edge of the field of view, and see if it's at the identical position in both barrels. You can check for vertical misalignment if you put the star at the top or bottom of the field, and horizontal misalignment if you put the star at one side.

Our eyes can cope with very minor horizontal misalignment, but not vertical.

If you do have a problem, I'd go carefully as to what's best to try a fix. Earlier in this thread are links to collimation. If you try to unscrew one of the barrels, as you mention, I'd try gripping and turning, making sure you are turning in the right direction. A last resort could be one of those rubber grippers for kitchen use, but please be careful, you could destroy your bins.

Hope you find a solution, Ed.

Edited by NGC 1502
  • Like 1

Thanks for the response. Yes, the barrel was visibly skewed. There was a gap on one side and the rubber cover was bunched on the other side at the bottom. The binoculars arrived at my home in the USA like that. Since I was overseas, I was not able to inspect it before the return option expired. I know Celestron has a lifetime warranty for $25 or so, but by the time you have paid the registration fee and the shipping costs, you have almost paid for a new pair. I did finally get the barrel out last night by holding the main body between my legs and using both hands to turn it. There is visible thread damage, meaning it was damaged on original insertion. On my third attempt, I managed to stay on track with the original threads and will try to collimate tonight. The construction on these is clearly substandard. I have ordered a much higher quality set. Once again, I appreciate your quick response. Ps 19:1 - an awesome verse, and one to which this amateur astronomer can attest!

The construction on these is clearly substandard. !

Whatever the standards of construction are, I think it's the assembly which is actually substandard.