Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi All

majestic0110

I am a long time lurker of this site but I decided to take the plunge and buy myself a telescope which led me to sign up for this site too! My name is Phil and I am 27 years old. I have been into astronomy since I was very small but have never owned a telescope prior to my recent purchase (a Celestron Nexstar 102 SLT). I wish I could say I was pleased with the scope but I have not really got to use it yet as the weather over here in the Emerald Isle is poor at present. So no clear skies yet :-/

Really looking forward to talking with you all and getting to use the scope at some stage in the near future!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi majestic0110, welcome to sgl. thats why we need forums like this, the weather is more often than not....rubbish. haha, still it makes you appreciate the clear skies even more when they come along.

scott

Welcome..

I think the weather has been bad for most of us, not much viewing in the past week just 90 mins before cloud cover once again put an end to things.

hang in there surely were due a break!

Hi tethered and nice scope choice how you getting on mwith it ?

Pat

Clear skies always

thanks, I have not used it much yet as the skies have been very cloudy since I've had it. It seems very cool, I would have liked to have gotten a larger aperture scope (the 102 is 4") but it's all I could afford really. I did manage to get the star wasat zoomed in at 73X which was really something, but the cloud nemesis returned!

HI Phil and welcome to the forum. You know we're all beginners really at this astronomy lark as you can never learn all of it and what you do know keeps changing! Congratulations on getting your scope and will certainly set you off in the right direction. You might want to download a free piece of planetarium software called Stellarium, you can view it here . Lots of great features that will keep you occupied during those cloudy moments and it can be calibrated to your observation location. One useful feature is the advance date/time feature which allows you to advance the night sky to see what's coming up and when.

Clear skies soon,

James

Archived