Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Let's predict the future of amateur astronomy

Jessun

1) Afordable Plenoptic cameras used in tandem / sync as a means of measuring and correcting the focus from atmospheric distortions in post processing of the primary image.

2)On a more serious note - for the clouds high altitude Blimp Observatories with Astro holidays - cruise the sky :shocked:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will be a freeview 24/7 astronomy channel, which wont be full of repeats.

This may eventually be superceded by multiple freeview channels, each catering for different interests (eg the DSO channel, imagers channel, Dob users channel etc).

There will be a freeview 24/7 astronomy channel, which wont be full of repeats.

This may eventually be superceded by multiple freeview channels, each catering for different interests (eg the DSO channel, imagers channel, Dob users channel etc).

I like this idea.

Instead of taking BBC4 off air during the day and pre-dawn hours, they can just show live feed from all sky cameras from around the world. You never know, it may gain the same level of popularity as one of those fish tank show.

my point was really that if you can take very short exposures and sum them in your computer then you can do all the tricks the planet imagers do but on deep sky.

Derek

Exactly - then we can do away with this bonkers idea of having to spend 10k and more trying to get a ridiculously heavy chunk of metal point at the same bit of sky to within an arcsecond or less for 20mins or more!

NigelM

Quantum Theory is replaced by something more plausible & easy to understand.

If you understand the string theory, you are in luck. :p

I believe quantum theory is well understood by the physicist. Dark matter and dark energy on the other hand is a different story.

A ban on the word 'vanilla' for anything other than ice-cream unless you can prove you are 5th generation American.

Why oh why can't people say unmodified or modified?

What about vanilla prawns (actually a recipe from my colleague: chilli-vanilli, stir-fry sliced vanilla pods with fresh red chilli peppers in butter, add raw peeled prawn, stir fry till done, add a quick squeeze of lime juice, brilliant)

Ultra high quality astrophotography capable point and shoot iphones. I hate iphones!

Not going to happen, I am afraid. Not enough photons!

It's even less likely than VLBI for Android (a network of mobile devices for radio imaging). The key problem is insufficient accuracy in both position and timing of signals.

What if the Scfi concept of 'Slow Glass' could be developed so incoming light is greatly slowed down by the glass objective surface and then better focussed in the short thickness of the glass by an improved adaptive optic device to focus the light on the other side exiting the back of the glass? This could then be displayed wirelessly on a screen where you can view in the warm but with a cold beer. This way everyone could have huge, several metre-sized 'Slow Glass' telescopes.

P.S. in the future these will cost only 10 new £ each and be zero rated for VAT.

P.P.S. And all street/security lights have been abolished.

If only,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Not going to happen, I am afraid. Not enough photons!

It's even less likely than VLBI for Android (a network of mobile devices for radio imaging). The key problem is insufficient accuracy in both position and timing of signals.

In the future we won't need photons! ;-)

In the future they won't need photons! ;-)

Lol yeah they will be so retro! "oh i had loads of those when i was a kid, cant believe i through them all away, worth a fortunw now" ;)

Post image processing based on dark energy! It allows you to expand the size of the image to any size without losing quality as the pixels dont actually move, just the space between them ;)

In the future we won't need photons! ;-)

Electromagnetic wave telescope, that is so dated. In the future the sky will be so polluted across all spectrum that will render optical, radio and gamma ray telescope obsolete.

Amateur neutrino and gravitational wave astronomy is the way forward :grin:

I'd love to see automatic polar alignment (I wonder what the new Astrotrac GEM will be like?)

Curved sensors to matched to simple optics so ultra fast cheap imaging is a reality, if you could make them bend

we get adaptive optics as well. :smiley:

Mel

I dont really understand why auto PA isnt already common place. If you can randomly hold a iphone up to the sky and it knows where its pointing i dont get why its not built into mounts yet. Surely if you couple the current mount software with a built in GPS and maybe some sort of digital spirit level then it should be able to auto PA?

I dont really understand why auto PA isnt already common place. If you can randomly hold a iphone up to the sky and it knows where its pointing i dont get why its not built into mounts yet. Surely if you couple the current mount software with a built in GPS and maybe some sort of digital spirit level then it should be able to auto PA?

Phones get it wrong quite often, and the precision of the phone is not nearly good enough for astrophotography.

Affordable adaptive optics? Auto collimating reflectors? I also play guitar and only ten years ago we used to joke/imagine about a guitar that could be set to tune itself and a database of many different turnings - that's now a reality ( and works brilliantly) so absolutely anything that can be imagined will probably be created and sold..

I love the idea about an amateur networked telescope array..

The idea of amateur networked telescope array is absolutely brilliant

Archived