Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PST with double stack filter or Solamax II without?

PST with double stack filter or Solarmax II without?

Both these telescope combinations come within budget, so what do you folks recommend.

I will be doing a photography as well as visual

thank you :)

BI

Just seen the PST 0.5, which has a built in double stack, for £859.

Difficult to ignore for starters, perhaps progressing to a lunt later.

I would like to hear from experienced solar viewers, regarding eyepieces. Would I need special eyepieces or will my night time eyepieces be okay

Thanking all in advance

BI

Check out some of the other PST threads on here. My understanding is that the single stack is better for visual and shows the prominences better. I believe the double stack shows the granulation better because of the narrower band pass of the filters but the prominences are dimmer visually. I think the double stack would be better for imaging.

Personally I purely do visual observing and love looking at the prominences so use a single stack. As others have said, try to have a look through both before making your decision.

Stu

I assume the SolarMaxII is also a 40mm aperture?

IMHO I think the internal etalon in the SolarmaxII is very similar to the one in the PST.

Getting a camera to focus will be easier with the SolarmaxII - the PST was basically designed for visual and has marginal backfocus for cameras.

Double stacking definately comes into its own when imaging!

(BTW I have a older Solarmax 60 and ended up removing the front etalon and now use it on an ED80 - better focal length and better focuser..a second external filter can be easily added for double stacking....)

The other thing to take into account is that the PST can be modded to a far larger aperture - see other threads)

Hi Helen

Is adding the second stack as an option the same as buying it as a double stack in the first place? The option seems hugely expensive (over £700) versus £850 ish for buying the double stack from the outset. I assumed that if you bought the 0.5 A version then you didn't have the option of reverting to single stack, but from what you are saying this is incorrect.

Thanks for the info :)

Stu

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 10 januari 2013 at 23:07, Stardust said:

HAs anyone tried a double stacked pst against a Solarmax II 60 single?

My DS PST is very good but I'm not so keen on the sweet spot.

I was wondering if it's worth upgrading to the SM60 scope

On 10 januari 2013 at 23:07, Stardust said:

HAs anyone tried a double stacked pst against a Solarmax II 60 single?

My DS PST is very good but I'm not so keen on the sweet spot.

I was wondering if it's worth upgrading to the SM60 scope

Hi, does the solarmax double stack REALLY works fine on the PST for visually use? I know that the fews are dimmer as the proms, (i think THE sun should be still bright anough and the stronger contrast you even be able to zoom in more) BUT i heard someting about a small sweetspot when you add the second filter..... So becource of this i am a bit Affrait to add the stack later. Thanks!

Archived