Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

K Nixon

Canon DSLR photography

Hi all,

We've just bought a canon 1100D which we hope to use for astrophotography amongst other things. That's if I ever crack this Merlin mount and get it tracking...

Anyway I was just wondering if there was any general advice for a total newbie to photography?

I have an IR filter ( I assume they are good for SLRs the same as webcam style photography) and the T adapter for the camera, but just wondered if there were any other bits of kit or filters or anything anyone would recommend getting?

Also, what sort of lenses would people recommend for taking direct pictures rather than through a scope and is it worth going down this route?

Thanks all!

Kieron

If its an umm ossified 1100d it won't need an ir filter as it already has 1 built in - depending on the light pollution where your viewing I'd thoroughly recommend something like the astronomik cls clip filter. Also you might want to consider getting a remote timer if your not using a computer. Makes taking multiple exposures much easier

If its an umm ossified 1100d it won't need an ir filter as it already has 1 built in - depending on the light pollution where your viewing I'd thoroughly recommend something like the astronomik cls clip filter. Also you might want to consider getting a remote timer if your not using a computer. Makes taking multiple exposures much easier

Ah didn't realise that! I have one for the wecam we just got for the club, so not bought specially at least. Will get the remote too, if nothing else to avoid the blurriness :)

thanks for the recommendation of lenses, we have a 75-300mm zoom (bought the bundle from jessops) so am intrigued to see what it can do by itself, but I would like to buy something a bit more designed for astrophotography type stuff eventually.

cheers!

K

Edited by K Nixon

sorry to partially hijack the thread K, but what is the advantage of a CLS clip filter over a 2" CLS filter?

Could the 2" CLS not also be used for Visual, thereby killing two birds with one stone?

Or, is there another consideration that I have not thought about?

Edited by ScubaMike

With a CLS clip filter you can use it with camera lenses as well as prime focus. The CLS is more important for imaging than visual use IMO. I use a 2" LPR rather than CLS because it is less harsh, but I can't really use it with camera lenses other than with a step down ring and I haven't actually tried that yet.

my reason for using the clip in filter is my camera attaches direct to the focuser on my 200p so you cant use a standard 2" screw in filter or i would have gone down that route myself

I use a Baader MPCC to connect to the scope at prime focus. Before that a MaxDSLR 2" adaptor, both of those are threaded for 2" filters.

No problem with hijacking the thread on one condition...

what on earth is a CLS clip? Should I be using one...?

incidentally went out with the cannon tonight just to see if it can 'see' the stars. 30s in and I had a decent picture where you could just make out the phase of venus. Rather impressed...

One more question then while I'm at it. For doing the star trail style pic, would you recommend getting a wide angle lens? I notice there are lots of cheap ones on ebay etc. I wouldn't buy a cheap telephoto but are these cheaper lenses okay or would you recommend sticking to pocket wrenchingly expensive ones?

(that was 2 questions, so i thank you for your patience!)

Kieron

The CLS clip is a light polution filter made by Astronomik which is designed to be fitted inside the body of Canon Cameras fitted with APS-C sized sensors.

It comes in two type CLS and CLS-CCD The CCD version includes UV/IR cut as well as the LP filtering of the Non CCD version .. UV/IR cut filtering helps reduce star bloat when uing Refractors which is caused by the fact that not all the wavelenghts that the sensor can capture are brought to focus at the same point (unless you spend a lot of money).

The filter can be used when the camera is fitted to scopes or with camera lenses in place provide these are EF rather than EF-S spec - although it all depends on how far the rear of the lens protrudes into the camera body and some people perform "surgey" on EF-S lens to enable them to be used with the clip-in filters...

While 2" filters can be used with step down rings you run the risk of introducing vignetting especially at shorter focal lenghts where the front filters tend to be 67mm plus in diameter or when using faster telephotos which again tend to have larger diameter filter threads...

There are alot of decent lenses from the Film SLR days although people are cottoning on and prices are increasing compared to a few years ago... one thing to watch is you can get refelection aretefacts from the older lenses not taking care of reflections from the sensor..

The M42/Pentax fit lenses fit lenses in particualr Super Takumars, Fujinons etc are worth a look...

You can also adapt other lenes to fit but you need to make sure you can achieve inifinty focus... I tend to use the table on this website for reference

Camera Mounts Sorted by Register

Peter...

Edited by Psychobilly

I hope you won't mind me tagging on a related question please-

My 450D is off to be modified. I've opted for simple filter removal only (the Astronomiser service). I currently use the CLS clip-in, but it sounds like I should consider changing to the CLS-CCD instead.

Would I notice much difference either way? I read the comment about star bloat and yes, I will be using it with a refractor.