Narrowband

Another 8" flower pot on ebay

robbie c

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who bought an f/4 and didn't collimate it properly is going to be rightly disappointed, but it not necessarily the fault of the scope. If it is a spherical mirror, it will be pretty dreadful, but other than links to SGL where people say they are useless, I can't find any actual info about them at all.

Maybe that says something right there!

8" f/4 binos would be pretty cool :)

I'm probaly alone in actually having had one of these. It was bought a a present a couple of years back, the mount was very robust, well and had a polar scope as standard, the scope itself was absolutely fine and provided good viewing. I don't think it was a spherical mirror though . The eyepieces were ok but it did have one of those sun filters that should be thrown away immediately. The biggest problem I think with telescopes and beginners is that people have false expectations thanks to stargazing programs that show incredible images of the skies that's what people think they're going to see.

I've asked the seller to verify that the mirror is a paraboloid, an essential requirement of a scope that fast.

Ron.

Let's hope they get back to you Ron I hate to think someone getting stung if it is that bad, someone who is just getting into astronomy can get put off and would be such a shame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His reply to my question as follows.

"Hello and thank you for your message.

This is a Newton Reflector with an 8 inch mirror. It is not a parabolic telescope.

Regards."

Somehow, I don't think he knows what,s what with telescopes at all.

He must think a parabola is a make, not a mirrors figure.

If it's a spherical mirror, the it's next to useless. Even a coma corrector won't fix it's spherical aberrations.

I hope his reply is recorded on his ebay Ad.

Then again, unless an inexperienced buyer does some homework, then he/her will be buying a pup.

Caveat Emptor was never more apprortiate than in this case.

Ron.

In view of his reply, and my assumption he knows little, if anything about f/ratios, he ought to make sure somehow whether or not the mirror is a paraboloid, or not.

If it isn't, he should add that information to the description.

I can't think who, worth their salt, would leave a 8"f 4 mirror spherical though.

Ron.

No longer use ebay far to dodgy get a good local dealer and stick with them if your in suffolk Phil Burton Photography is the guy I deal with lovely chap and a great photographer. 205.00 poor guy could have put that towards a 200p

No longer use ebay far to dodgy get a good local dealer and stick with them if your in suffolk Phil Burton Photography is the guy I deal with lovely chap and a great photographer. 205.00 poor guy could have put that towards a 200p

I wasn't interested in buying it QM, I was more concerned for whoever did. When I asked the seller if the mirror was a parboloid, he replied it was a

"Newton scope with a spherical mirror, not a parobola"

An 8" f4 spheroid isn't going to go down too well with the buyer.

Time will tell.

Shame he cant be warned ebay is dodgy at times

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

Why on earth should he be warned ? If you just blindly pay money out for something you haven't researched or read up,on then it's your own fault.

As I said before I had one of these. It was fine. Anyone else on here speaking from direct experience ?

Why did eBay put private sales and hide buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To protect people privacy?

sorry sarky mood...

However it is a shame to see Junk fetching good coin.

Archived