First sketch m81 & m82

Pug

Nice sketch Pug, M81/M82 was also my first sketch. :)

I've only just started sketching myself so hopefully others will chime in with more advice.

I bought a pencil pack from Amazon Royal & Langnickel Sketching Pencil Set: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products but probably use 2 maybe 3, something like 4B HB 2H and then graphite.

Sky at Night and I think Astronomy Now both have monthly sketching page which is really useful.

The best thing I have learnt from S@N is to start your sketch off by putting anchor stars which are usually the brightest ones in your FoV around the outside, this helps you keep everything centred for the rest of the sketch.

Take your time with it, theres no rush.

When the sketch has been scanned I invert it in Photoshop and then just clean it up. Don't get tempted to add anything to it.

To make sure the stars are round I'II use the brush tool but set the brush size so its half the size of the star, that way it tidy's the shape but doesn't alter the size.

Hope this helps.

post-33489-133877760644_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mike, the stars looked round in the original drawing but weren't once I'd scanned and inverted it, I probably rushed it a bit as well. I used a blending stump for the galaxies. Looking forwards to the next clear night to have another go!

It's a great start.

For rounder stars I'd look to make them smaller overall. Bright stars you can maybe expand a bit with a soft pencil - 2b to 4b. For fainter stars I'd use a HB, H or 2H and keep it more as a pinpoint with minute rotation when in contact with the paper.

I sometimes 'tidy up' my stars in photo software. Even something as basic as MS paint will allow you to round out your stars and touch up on brightness differentials between them.

Hope that helps. Your galaxies are looking really good there :)

Archived