Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR - Canon 11000D cant work with SW130p?

We got our 1100d from comet for £399 with the IS lens and a few other things chucked in, decent bag, memory card etc. There is a place online called Big Norms that were doing them really cheap but we heard a few bad things about them so didn't buy there.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm realising my enthusiasm over being able to get a expensive bit of equipment quickly, and on credit, had clouded my judgement a little and blinded me to the fact that it was a badly thought out decision and, as many have rightly said, not just overpriced but the SLR would be not right for the scope/mount. I will look into a webcam and get an eyepiece-to-digital camera adaptor for now.

Once again, thank you people.

I should say the SGL forum is one of the best places to give and recieve advice, ask and answer question etc. and hopefully I will soon be able to pass on advice instead of seeking it.

Much appreciated,

Aenima.

I'm realising my enthusiasm over being able to get a expensive bit of equipment quickly, and on credit, had clouded my judgement a little and blinded me to the fact that it was a badly thought out decision and, as many have rightly said, not just overpriced but the SLR would be not right for the scope/mount. I will look into a webcam and get an eyepiece-to-digital camera adaptor for now.

Once again, thank you people.

I should say the SGL forum is one of the best places to give and recieve advice, ask and answer question etc. and hopefully I will soon be able to pass on advice instead of seeking it.

Much appreciated,

Aenima.

Hi mate, just thought I'd make a quick post to clear my previous post up in case it went down the wrong way. I wasn't meaning to push my nose in to your finances - just it was evident from your posts that you were keen to get a camera at whatever cost, and I was just trying to offer advice based on first hand experience.

To be honest, I'm really glad you've decided against the camera and opted for a cheaper webcam. We would ALL love the next new camera, scope, or tripod but 90% haven't got the money for it - so you're definitely not alone in wanting some new kit. Hell, I've got my eyes on a £1500 scope - but it's a case of waiting my turn until the money is in the bank.

Have fun with your new webcam when it comes - I modded one for myself recently, so if you need any help drop me a line :D

I have two expensive hobbies, this an motorcycling. Being disabled and unable to work I have to watch my pennies. I get what I want through buying and selling stuff and saving gradually. I always look for the best value which is not always the cheapest. I want a better scope but I will never have one unless I win some money or sell my bike (won't happen as it's easier for me to ride than drive) to fund it. With astronomy the thing you need more than anything except dark skies is patience.

XBox webcams on Ebay for £3.95 delivered. You don't need to spend more initially. I used the top off a shampoo bottle that was exactly 1.25" diameter. See my posts in the XBox webcam thread you mentioned.

Hey dudes, no worries, seriously I'm gratefull for the wise advice. Truth is, i very nearly committed to paying 500 bucks for a camera without a lense. :D And then it was to be down to luck and difficult tech stuff to make it work properly. Maybe I was taking a dig at the catalogue/loan companies but hadn't meant to sound cynical or off colour. As I said, its one of the things that makes this forum so cool.

I like the sound of a webcam and stacking images, and how people have been creative and made use of cheap, unusual parts for astro-imaging.

Many thanks to the above posts/postees for valuable info on the topic,

All the best,

Aenima

Hi, just to add something to this topic from a SW 130p user, I use a AZ goto mount and a SC1 modded webcam and I have got 20 sec exposures from it and stacked them using registax and I have got decent shots of the M42 and the M57 ring nebula.

The shots are on here in the image section, I am looking to try adding my 1000d to the scope with a direct T thread and try 20 sec exposures and I did not notice much blur or rotation. Hope this helps.

I was going to try my DSLR for the first time over the weekend. The local astro club were having a meetup, and the sky was clear........... but I was full of flu so couldn't go - was gutted.

First real clear skies for around a month and I couldn't make the most of them. I will post as soon as I figure out if I can get mine in focus by that method.

• 8 months later...

how you getting on now mate? just reading through this now? what did you get in the end :)

Martin

Hi Martin,

In the end I got the xbox cam running with my 130p and loved it so much that I grabbed a spc880 off ebay already modded for 50 quid (inc. nosepiece and filter), and this was an even better way to capture the sights through a telescope.

As a bit of well timed financial juggling allowed me to get the 200p/EQ5 combo earlier this year my planetary images improved loads and - the best bit ;) - my uncle had a 300D body stored away as it was broken, but when he learned i could make use of a dslr body he checked and it was the auto-focus mirror fault, quite common it seems, so he fixed it up and bam..... finally got the chance to take deep sky images. ( after borrowing enough to add Goto to my EQ5.) which is a lot harder but still quite rewarding - with a bad insomnia problem I can at least now get some pictures of the pretty things I see at night in the eyepiece, to look at and play with during spare time in the day on my laptop. Hopefully, sometimes the result can be displayed in the cases where the image isn't too bad and i'm not embarassed to show them.

I noticed you got an excellent image of Orion nebula, and on a non EQ mount - pretty cool. :)

I love planetary nebulas, with just a few seconds of camera exposure they're like little pieces of art in the sky. Very worthwhile aiming a telescope at and make awesome images with a bit of effort (not to mention the time and money) and skill.

Thats a great result for an AZ mount, you must be chuffed with that one. :)

Regards

Aenima

Hi Martin,

In the end I got the xbox cam running with my 130p and loved it so much that I grabbed a spc880 off ebay already modded for 50 quid (inc. nosepiece and filter), and this was an even better way to capture the sights through a telescope.

As a bit of well timed financial juggling allowed me to get the 200p/EQ5 combo earlier this year my planetary images improved loads and - the best bit ;) - my uncle had a 300D body stored away as it was broken, but when he learned i could make use of a dslr body he checked and it was the auto-focus mirror fault, quite common it seems, so he fixed it up and bam..... finally got the chance to take deep sky images. ( after borrowing enough to add Goto to my EQ5.) which is a lot harder but still quite rewarding - with a bad insomnia problem I can at least now get some pictures of the pretty things I see at night in the eyepiece, to look at and play with during spare time in the day on my laptop. Hopefully, sometimes the result can be displayed in the cases where the image isn't too bad and i'm not embarassed to show them.

I noticed you got an excellent image of Orion nebula, and on a non EQ mount - pretty cool. :)

I love planetary nebulas, with just a few seconds of camera exposure they're like little pieces of art in the sky. Very worthwhile aiming a telescope at and make awesome images with a bit of effort (not to mention the time and money) and skill.

Thats a great result for an AZ mount, you must be chuffed with that one. :)

Regards

Aenima

Hi Aenima,

Glad to hear your up and imaging, thats great news! and im jelous i want an spc900 sooo badly lol i had to laugh as some posts and the beginning of this saying the 130p wont take a DSLR with a barlow and you wont be able to take any pics or something along the line like that, and i just thought thats how i take pics and i got the pic in my avator and thats with an out of collimated scope lol

ohhhh GRATS on your new 200p/EQ5 combo mate!!! i cant wait till i can afford an imaging setup (nice EQ, dedicated AP scope/guiding/ccd/ etc lol) bet your 200p is giving some great images of jupiter right now, lovely bit of kit :)

Bet your glad you didnt blow £500 on the dslr at the beginning especially with your uncle having a fixable 300D tucked away! very nice :D have you tried magic lantern with your 300D>? im in two minds to try it or not as id cry if it broke my camera lol but im very tempted

have you got any decent pics yet? its amazing like you say it s like hidden puzzles hidden away in the night sky and its soo rewarding when you get something back your eyes never normally see :D

aww thanks on the kind words about my orion pic, i was over the moon (so to speak) when i stacked those few pics (less then 1 minutes worth of sub) makes it all worth while when it puts a smile on your face when the stacking is done :D and yes taken on an AZ mount so very pleased :)

Nice one, Martin.

Yes, the alt-az is a nice easy mount to use but you need a bit of skill to get a long exp image from it. ;)

My problem was that i'd read that the 130p hasnt got inward travel enough to get focus, but as a barlow changes the focal length it might have been possible - however, no bleep way was I about to spend 500 on a dslr without knowing for sure!

As it happened this never needed to be tested out thank god.:)

I have gotten some ok images, mostly the brighter easier objects - there are some earlier attempts in my gallery link in my signature - but my more recent projects involve trying to piece mosaics together as things like Andromeda dont fit in the frame of my 300D and the Moon can look nice when the resolution is higher rather than zooming in on a whole image - the one in my gallery is only about 5 or 6 panes making up a pic of half-moon but its better than just a single frame showing the same half-moon, a bit crisper I think.

Jupiter is great and the view through the 200p kinda makes lugging it outside worthwhile.

SPC880/900's are wanted all the time, they turn up on ebay around 50 bucks on average, unless its mint-in-box and the seller has dollar signs in his eyes :)

But nowdays the dedicated ccd imagers are the business. They are ridiculous in price but they are also ridiculously high quality and the right model can give amazing images of jupiter and individual craters on the moon too, such great detail :eek: !

I really want to try and get my mount to auto-guide, coz at the moment my exposure times before startrails are around 30 to 50 seconds and with an unmodded 300D thats not really enough to bring out the fainter detail needed for most DSO's - some planetary nebula and a few galaxies are in reach but something like horsehead or veil nebula or any emission types just wont show up (maybe if you got 10,000 mins exposure time....?)

Although you're off to a great start, you'd be well away with an EQ mount and nice APO :cool:

All the best

Aenima

Archived