SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

DSLR - Canon 11000D cant work with SW130p?

I'm looking at getting the canon 11000D for AP through my 130p reflector, but having no prior knowledge with the subject it is getting a little confusing.

Many people say the canon 11000d is a good dslr but while talking it over on the forum someone with experience of the Explorer 130p has said they could not get a similar dslr set-up to work due to not enough inward focus, and as its 'inward' focus the problem would require the mirror to be moved - a major drastic course of action! - so does anyone know how this Canon 11000D would work with my 130p?

(As the canon is a reasonably good example of dslr's would my scope not take any DSLR?)

Anyhow, if there is anyone can help me on the subject I'd be v grateful.

Many thnx...:)

j

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm looking at getting the canon 11000D for AP through my 130p reflector, but having no prior knowledge with the subject it is getting a little confusing.

Many people say the canon 11000d is a good dslr but while talking it over on the forum someone with experience of the Explorer 130p has said they could not get a similar dslr set-up to work due to not enough inward focus, and as its 'inward' focus the problem would require the mirror to be moved - a major drastic course of action! - so does anyone know how this Canon 11000D would work with my 130p?

(As the canon is a reasonably good example of dslr's would my scope not take any DSLR?)

Anyhow, if there is anyone can help me on the subject I'd be v grateful.

Many thnx...:)

j

Anyone have ideas?

The focuser on the 130P certainly doesn't have enough inward travel for Canon EOS DSLR's, nor is it strong enough to connect one via a 2x barlow or Baader Hyperion with a T-thread.

Since you also have an altaz mount, you can't really mount the camera on the scope rings piggyback to get long exposure shots with the camera lens because field rotation will blur your images within a few seconds.

The best bet for imaging with a 130P is a webcam for lunar shots or afocal imaging with a digital compact camera.

Cheers guys. I have had the feeling it would be costly for a while now. And the limits of my scope set-up are going to persist throughout, but i just wanted to get a better understanding of the equipment before committing to buying something i couldnt use.

Other than the spc900nc are there other webcams that are usable with my scope?

thnx for your advice, ppl.

j

On your focuser, you can unscrew the 1.25" part to reveal a 2" (I think!) thread. Connect your Canon EOS via a T-Ring straight to this, and there should be enough inward travel - makes it cheaper actually as you then don't need to also invest in the 1.25" T-Ring adapter.

:)

A bit more info, as it was here that I found out about it:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/161308-focusing.html

There is another thread on SGL (although for the life of me I cannot find it) that has a photo or two explaining my previous post. If my previous post hasn't made much sense let me know and I'll take some photo's tonight to better show what I mean. (Or if you can find the thread with the original photos that will work too :))

A bit more info, as it was here that I found out about it:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-discussion/161308-focusing.html

There is another thread on SGL (although for the life of me I cannot find it) that has a photo or two explaining my previous post. If my previous post hasn't made much sense let me know and I'll take some photo's tonight to better show what I mean. (Or if you can find the thread with the original photos that will work too :))

They may have changed the focuser then, but the last question (can you focus without a barlow?) remained unanswered. Adding a Barlow into the chain takes the focal ratio from a nice fast f/5 to a slow f/10 which is decidedly not want for DSO imaging.

If you can reach focus using a direct connection t-thread without the Barlow then great, go for it, but certainly with the old blue tube 130Ps you can't.

This is great guys, I really like the idea of the canon dslr and really want it to fit - my focuser has the two inch and it is the newer black/gold flecked tube, as for using a barlow I have never attached a camera to my scope but have the 2x brlow w/ the basic adapter that all SW scopes usually come with. My problem lies in the limited options due to needing credit to purchase the dslr as would be forever trying to save up (and also its price is v high (£520 just the body of Canon 1100D!) ) so if the canon could work without drastic adjustment then great but i only have one chance and approx three or four digital SLR's to choose between - btw -

-£500 - £750 | SLR | Jacamo - if anyone can advise me as to which of these (5 i think) cameras would be a best all round choice for my SW 130p it would help a great deal as my knowledge and experience is virtually zero in these matters.

Thank you for the many helpful suggestions and advice,

Regards

Aenima.

Can't answer your question, but I will warn you that price for the 1100d is way too high. You can get the camera elsewhere much cheaper and with the lens.

Yep, that price for a 1100d stinks of a rip off, its almost £200 too much! You can get the body for just under £330 from Jessops, and if you dont have the cash straight away they do finance deals.

Canon EOS 1100D Body - 5161B016AA - Jessops - Digital SLRs

Then you could use the saved money to buy a more "camera friendly" telescope - either a 150P or an 80mm ED refractor.

Yeah, i mentioned before, the reason im paying the higher prices is its on credit. As the catalogue is allowing me to pay in installments cos it would take me years to save up for that kind of hardware, so the credit factors in the overall cost of the camera. Appreciate the suggestions though. Ta.

One thing I learnt quickly was never buy electronics from a catalogue, but I was also taught if I wanted something I had to save for it. If you are willing to take a risk with something overpriced that may not even work, well, that doesn't make sense to me.

Why not take a look at Used Canon | Secondhand Canon | Used Canon DSLR | Second Hand Canon where you can get a used (with 6 month warranty) DSLR for a fraction of the price? I've just bought one from there and absolutely chuffed with my purchase. You can get a 350D for £114 at the moment - surely not to be sniffed at, especially if you can't afford something more expensive at the moment.

One thing I learnt quickly was never buy electronics from a catalogue, but I was also taught if I wanted something I had to save for it. If you are willing to take a risk with something overpriced that may not even work, well, that doesn't make sense to me.

Why not take a look at Used Canon | Secondhand Canon | Used Canon DSLR | Second Hand Canon where you can get a used (with 6 month warranty) DSLR for a fraction of the price? I've just bought one from there and absolutely chuffed with my purchase. You can get a 350D for £114 at the moment - surely not to be sniffed at, especially if you can't afford something more expensive at the moment.

Unfortunately, not having a top job, rich family or high credit ratings, if i want to pursue my hobby anytime soon i need to do what most poor people do - get the short end of bad loan companies and extortion rate cataloguues. I really cant catch a break on this, I checked prices over and over but my options are limited. The advice on differrent prices is sound and welcome in my opinion, its just that i'm not in a optimum position right now and will either compromise and continue following a cool hobby or dont compromise and have next to nothing, plus what i do get will be very cheap and poor quality anyway.

Its encouraging that most of the advice is very well meant, and in my best interest - its something i find so great about the forum, - my problem lies in not being sure before I do get ripped off that the whole process will leave me with something I can make good use of.

Again, thank you for the input, its appreciated.

J

With a 130P on an altaz mount, you could have the best camera in the world, but you still won't be able to get good images of deep sky objects. Sorry, but the mount won't allow it. You need a stable equatorial mount for deep sky imaging. With an altaz you get field rotation issues which will make the image blur even if the tracking is accurate enough...which it won't be.

What your scope can do, is get you images of the moon and planets, but for this type of imaging a DSLR is not the right choice. You will get much better results with a little webcam either with or without the barlow. The reason for this is you need lots and lots and LOTS of very short exposures (like a video clip) which Registax or Avistack can then sift through and compile a sharp composite image. Not only is this cheaper, but it is genuinely better than a DSLR.

Archived