Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

What is the recommended star atlas to have out in the garden? Want something I can use to help me find things other than just relying in Turn Left at Orion.

I want to get something that shows me everything in a given area of sky of my choosing.

Get stellarium (free download) and print off the image you want, which is probably clearer (and certainly cheaper) than most star atlas's.

Edited by sologuitarist61

I use stellarium religiously, and own a laptop - I just dont like the idea of getting my laptop out to the garden... it cost more than most decent scopes :/

I just wanted something a bit more....well... booky and something I can take away with me and use with a pair of bins

I also dont own a printer :)

Posted this on another thread as a bit of a laugh:

Guide to the night sky - FSC

However it may be the type of thing you want.

I don't have it so it's a bit of guess work for what is on it and how relevant it would be. But they are ideal for taking outside as they are well laminated.

Just not quite pocket sized.:):D

I didn't say to take the laptop outside, but to print off the images and just take paper copies out with you - cannot find a print button in Stellarium, but you can always use the print screen function.

Sologuitarist, Stargazing says:

I also dont own a printer :)

So Stellarium or not it wouldn't make much difference.

Sologuitarist, Stargazing says:

So Stellarium or not it wouldn't make much difference.

Whoops! Always check first, is, I would guess, the advice!

Edited by sologuitarist61

If you've got a smart phone/iphone there are also various free planetariums to choose from.

If you want something to use at the scope, nothing is better than Pocket Sky Atlas. It is also small and compact, yet clear and readable.

Unless you take print outs, outside in clear plastic wallets, of the area of interest, you are down to the Pocket Sky Atlas, which I think many people would not wish to be without in their kit :)

Sky and telescope pocket atlas for me as well, lives in my eyepiece case.

Same here, cracking value.

The pages are plasticized as well, so it it doesn't turn to mush when it's a bit dewy.

I use Stellarium at home for research and for getting coordinates.

In the field I use sky and telescope pocket sky atlas. The pocket atlas is excellent, I bought it following several recommendations; it has not disappointed.

Incidentally; it contains printed telrad circles so you plan your starhopping for use with your telrad finder

:)

hey I don't want to sound stupid as I very new to the amateur astronomy thing. I have been using Google sky map on my android phone . Seems good so far.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Google Sky Map and any of the other planetarium apps/programmes are very good BUT using a laptop or smartphone outside ruins your night vision. It is fine to use them to orient yourself with the skies, but if you actually want to see anything either buy an atlas or print the pages off and use a dim red torch to check them whilst outside. Your eyes take up to half an hour to properly adjust to the dark, if you are away from light pollution.

Stu