Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First guided image,M81 and 82

Domis

I made a guide scope using an old Meade 9x60 polar finder scope and a SPC900 LX modded cam. After sorting through the pains of getting it all setup while not knowing what I was doing. I managed to guide this 130sec x 20 sub at ISO800 image under the full moon.The scope used was an ST102 refractor on a CG5AT advanced mount. Guided with PHD and a wing and a prayer.

post-25975-133877760477_thumb.jpg

Nice one. Do you use PHD for guiding? About correcting vignetting, good luck with your flat frames if you go along that road . I ordered an Aurora LE flat panel to sort out my flat frames as everything I tried hasn't worked -embroidery frame with pillow case, computer with white screen, you name it. Buy the way QM, have you managed to do any guided imaging lately? Myself, I've been concentrating on imaging the Moon these nights but I really need to make sure my guiding setup works well.

Buy the way QM, have you managed to do any guided imaging lately? Myself, I've been concentrating on imaging the Moon these nights but I really need to make sure my guiding setup works well.

I was guiding two nights ago 3 minute subs on the jelly fish nebula but the weather ruined my subs for me bah.. will be out there as soon as it clears again testing out my focal reducer on the evostar. Also been observing the moon as well, love the moon.:) might take another crack at m81 m82 again

I was guiding two nights ago 3 minute subs on the jelly fish nebula but the weather ruined my subs for me bah.. will be out there as soon as it clears again testing out my focal reducer on the evostar. Also been observing the moon as well, love the moon.:) might take another crack at m81 m82 again

About the Moon, I completed my first mosaic (the first pic) assembling images from the webcam. I had to reduce the image to 50% as it was huge! It was great fun. I bet you would enjoy doing this if you haven't tried yet.

You can compare the resolution to the picture taken with the Canon 350D.

post-30999-133877760541_thumb.jpg

post-30999-133877760549_thumb.jpg

post-30999-133877760557_thumb.jpg

Kevin, yes it is cropped and resized. On the full frame the outside left stars were slightly misshapened but the far right stars are a lot worse. I was going to pull the objective lens and check for it being over tightened.The focuser on this scope is not the greatest either,so I am going to try adjusting that a bit more and possibly pull it and try some voodoo collimating on it.

Quartermass,thanks for the tip I'll give that a go. Yes it is a great feeling,especially when most of the guiding end is homemade adaptations. Let's not forget the authors of the software used, with out their work,it would all be even more difficult.

Sjj, thanks for the comment, much appreciated.

Pixueto,Yes, I used PHD for guiding. A great piece of software. I do intend to try flats soon, perhaps the computer white screen method to start. To be honest,it's all been rather daunting just to get to this fair image. I don't relish the thought of adding more steps to the equation at the moment.One thing about learning to image.You have to go at it with a tenacious attitude or you are beaten before you start.

Rik, thanks,I'll look into the Noel's actions.

Have you seen the pictures that Badgers is producing with his new HEQ5 pro? After seeing that I've been hiding my wallet :). I even kind of convinced myself that I can afford to spend £700 which is completely delusional!:)

Very good gradient removal but in removing the blue haloes you've removed the blue colour from the relevant stars. That's a shame and avoidable. I don't know how you lost the blue haloes but you could put the blue back like this;

Copy the old blue halo image as a Layer underneath. Blur it till the stars in question are just blue blurs.

Now activate the top layer (your corrected image) and select the stars. (Use Noels Action or Martin B's tutorial on here). Make the star selection about as big as the stars but feathered. Erase the white stellar cores to let the colour through. Experiment with the opacity of the eraser.

As for 'a wing and a prayer,' it seems that your wings flew and your prayer was answered. Well done!

Olly

Domis, great image! I very recently tried Martin B's star tutorial and it does work a treat! A few things threw me but after a bit of tinkering it all fell in place and becomes an addiction :-)

Archived