Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Mr Moff

What's the best thing you've seen?

Hi ,up to now i have only seen the moon with my seconhand powerseeker ,and i was moved deeply and amazed totaly ,oh for a clear sky in Stoke on Trent Brian.:)

Hale bopp for me back in 97, as for stuff I have seen through my scope so far, Saturn the Orion Nebula & the Whirlpool Galaxy are my favourites. Seeing the Great Red Spot on Jupiter & managing to image it was pretty cool too.

I accidentally locate the Orion nebula with a pair of old bino's. I didn't know what it was at first and thought it was a bit of cloud (ah! those innocent first steps into astronomy) and then went on-line to discover what it might be. Just as well I did because I was at the point of giving-up on the subject of astronomy because nothing resembles the images you view in books and such like.

So for me it had a double benefit ; 1 it got me hooked and 2 it got me into this forum and all that jazz....

N.

I would say Saturn and Hale Bopp, I made a barn door tracker, and spent the Easter Sunday night out in a farmers field. (Wow 15 years ago) I got through a roll of 36 shot's, and one turned out. That made it all worth while.

I still have the picture on the wall, and the negative stored safely away. This is probably my only venture to the dark side.

Saturn is what got me into the hobby again, it still gives me goosebumps, Jupiter is good, but Saturn is somehow more awe-inspiring.

I think the first thing you see through your own scope stays with you forever therefore I have to say Jupiter. After owning my scope for just more than a year Jupiter is still right at the top the list, just beats Saturn because there is always something happening with Jupiter - changing position of moons, transits, and trying to tease out just that bit more detail.

I'd not had my scope long and I was scanning the dark sky without using goto,i think i was useing a 10mm eyepiece and found a cluster of stars that filled the eyepiece that seemed to spiral inwards just like a galaxy,I couldn't believe what i was looking at and to this day have never seen it again,one of them moments that you don't forget and wish could find again.

Given I'm new to this - my first view of M42 through my first telescope.

Edited by pel

The 1999 total solar eclipse from Romania.....you don't just see a total eclipse...you experience it.

Although your rational brain knows what's happening, the 90% of your subconscious that remains very much animal goes....'the sun has just gone out', and you look upon the universe and tremble :)

Fantastic experience :)

Oh yes! I remember the one in the summer of 99 ish.

Such an eery feeling, you could feel the temp drop a degree or so quite quickly. It was like twilight in the middle of the day. It was quite creepy.

And Hale Bopp in 97.

And Saturn :)

Edited by sanmatt

A meteor streaking across my fov when I was looking at Jupiter through my 'scope one night.....

My first galaxies, Bode's & Cigar (M81/82) because they took three sessions to find, and once viewed the sense of achievement plus the awesomeness of catching photons emitted nearly 12 million years ago - gave me goosebumps :)

For shear eye-candy M42/43 with the Orion UHC filter. Seeing was good and the fluffy clouds of M42 were clearly defined with the beautiful trapezium cluster shining within. Goosebumps again :)

Hale-Bopp, a perfect total solar eclipse and a World class Aurora. :)

I really envy you guys that've seen a solar eclipse.I would love to see that.

Danny.

i remember the eclipse back in 99 [was it that long ago:(] watched it on a car bonnet ,well the reflection [strange but true lol] the bird's didn't fall out the sky as predicted by some newspapers'.

Edited by dtr42

Well have not seen it yet but there is a solar eclipse in May couple of states over :) but your ass I will be there at the grand canyon!!!!!!

Well have not seen it yet but there is a solar eclipse in May couple of states over :) but your ass I will be there at the grand canyon!!!!!!

That's another thing I'd like to see.

Please record it and share it with us?

Danny.

Still new to this game, so it'd have to be Saturn, and in truth, with the telescope I have and light polluted location, I'm not sure there'll be a better view of anything

I love M42 too and always go back for a look and did see Andromeda from a dark site. Visually though, Saturn beats Jupiter and everything else so far

For me it was the look on my 9 year olds face when I got her up at 12.30 to show her Saturn, she looked in the ep - then the sky - then the ep again - then me, and said but its just a dot ... its amazing in the scope how ?

followed by many, many questions.

So yes Jupiter / saturn for me so far.

Great thread

Edited by knobby

For me it was the look on my 9 year olds face when I got her up at 12.30 to show her Saturn, she looked in the ep - then the sky - then the ep again - then me, and said but its just a dot ... its amazing in the scope how ?

Great thread

Great post there mate.I bet she'll want her own soon.:)

Danny.

Great thread

My 5 year old won't take a 12;30am wake up but I know exactly what you mean - the Galillean moons of Jupiter had a similar effect :) Can't wait to show her Saturn :)

Great post there mate.I bet she'll want her own soon.:)

Danny.

She does !

:)