Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Portable visual mount for C11?

Dunkster

Folks... the fever bites... after a recent experience with a C11 Edge HD and Ethos, I'm thinking about upgrading :)

I want the perfect mount, of course. Light, portable, stable, inexpensive.... ultimately, simplicity of setup wins over all, but weight is also important as I have to carry from my porch to the garden (about 40ft), or else I'll end up using the 6SE :) LP isn't the worst and I've been surprised by what my Mak and 6SE have shown me here, but I understand I will have venture out sometimes for better chances.

I like the idea of the CPC, but not so much the fixed ota situation, as if I stay with SCT I might want to upgrade to Edge HD at a later date.

1. CPC - alt/az, familiar nexstar controller....heavy, not inexpensive
  2. CGEM - familiar nexstar controller (somewhat)...unfamiliar gem :o
  3. iEQ45 - light(ish)...borderline for C11?
  4. NEQ6 pro - proven, least expensive...heavy

Anything I've missed or any new mounts on the horizon that would be a good fit? Dob is an obvious omission that needs exploring.

Opinions, suggestions, comments all welcome! Thanks!

Thanks Olly, look forward to it!

From reading Celestron's marketing, can't help think that All Star might ease me in to a gem (they would say that!), but also haven't ruled out a Dob...they're all looking more or less about 25kg for mounting 10-12" ota :)

C11 can be used on HEQ5. It also can be used on iOptron MiniTower or MiniTower Pro (or MT 2).

For HEQ5 extended counterweight shaft will improve it efficiency greatly. For visual also those MT are an option. As I can't see Venus from my balcony I got MT and I'm going to try it + C11 to catch Venus around the block. Few people did use C11 with this mount and had no problems.

I have my C11 on an NEQ6 pro and it handles it (and the Megrez90 on top) well. Tarazad off this forum uses his C11 on a cgem which again handles it well. With the new beta update on the synscan purportedly enabling better polar alignment it may bring the NEQ6 upto the accuracy I have seen on Neil's CGEM.

Both mounts are very capable. I (personal opinion only) would be reluctant to put mine on an HEQ5 pro (it coud be also to do with the amount of "stuff" on my scope)

post-15675-13387776051_thumb.jpg

I've got mine on a CGEM. Love the mount, it's not too heavy when you break it down, but very sturdy and up to the job. Mine lives in an upstairs bedroom, so I have to carry the lot downstairs and into the garden.

If you go the CGEM route buy a polar scope. The handset does have a polar alignment routine, but if you want quick and easy alignment the scope helps.

Tracking wise the CGEM is really quiet, when I align it's really close the first star, then bang on for the rest.

Cheers

anyone of those mounts would handle a C-11 no problem i think

the cgem is the best all round it also has the best software the

cgem dx is another step up again i have one stronger motors

more power much better tripod the neq-6 pro has amazing motors

maybe a little better than the cgem but the software is not as good

and its half the price of the cgem dx if i was to pick between the

cgem and the neq-6 pro i would pick the neq-6 pro because of price

both carry 40lbs but if your talking the cgem dx its another story.

We need to be clear that this 'effortless' handling of the C11 refers to weight. I very much doubt that there would be anything effortless about persuading an NEQ6 to guide accurately enough for imaging at that focal length. I wouldn't entertain the idea myself but with a lot of effort and a lot of lost subs you might get somewhere. Visual, yes. Long focal length DS imaging needs serious tracking precision, however.

Olly

I have a C11 with a Cg5gt, yes yes I know it's overloaded for long exposure imaging but for visual as long as it's well balanced it works prefectly well. If you can get or make some vibration damping pads even better. It's relatively cheap, very portable and finds and tracks very well as long as it's properly aligned. I've even managed to get some reasonable planetary images with a Meade LPI.

I use a c11 on an EQ6 , it handles it effortlessly

Sent from my AWSOME iPhone using Tapatalk

awesome iPhone which doesn't have a spell checker?!! Sorry, couldn't help it being an Android bloke. :)

OP - I would go with the EQ6 if the others offer nothing extra for the extra money, but with a f6.3 reducer for imaging.

C11 + HEQ5 really need no air movement :) This combination can be easily vibrated by wind. The guider may guide very precisely but it won't help for wind playing with the OTA (and the scope resolution is high so the movements got clearly passed to the image).

C11 + HEQ5 really need no air movement :) This combination can be easily vibrated by wind. The guider may guide very precisely but it won't help for wind playing with the OTA (and the scope resolution is high so the movements got clearly passed to the image).

Ah OK, I see what you mean. The wind physically moving the scope.

Olly

Olly, et al,

I have the C11 plus all the gubbins for the spectroscope on the NEQ6pro and work at f10.

A beamsplitter guider/ Lodestar and PHD can keep my target star on a 20 micron slit for ever....guiding at 2800mm is straight forward....

For visual, as requested from the OP, I'd say the NEQ6 was the way to go.

post-15261-133877768115_thumb.jpg

Olly, et al,

I have the C11 plus all the gubbins for the spectroscope on the NEQ6pro and work at f10.

A beamsplitter guider/ Lodestar and PHD can keep my target star on a 20 micron slit for ever....guiding at 2800mm is straight forward....

For visual, as requested from the OP, I'd say the NEQ6 was the way to go.

Hats off to you, Ken, but I have two EQ sixes and I wouldn't try to use them for 2.8 metre imaging. The C11 is wonderfully light for its aperture and the EQ6 will carry it for sure. No worries on that score. I suspect you know something I don't know when it comes to autoguiding! However, like you, I think it's the obvious choice for the OP.

Olly

awesome iPhone which doesn't have a spell checker?!! Sorry, couldn't help it being an Android bloke. :)

Lol , my AWSOME iPhone does have a spill checker , just can't be boverd to use it ;-/.

Sent from my AWSOME iPhone using Tapatalk

So I got impatient and got the EQ6 (pro)... now I've just got to get my head around how I set it up and use it :eek:;)

Thanks for all the feedback folks, I'm sure I'll have more questions :mad:

Archived