SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from a Bristolian old geezer

tjf1370

I,ve been interested in astronomy for many years but only recently bought a telescope & binoculars.

Unfortuneatly there is heavy light (confused?) polution in my garden & although I can see some individual stars, it's almost impossible to see constellations which makes it difficult to navigate the sky. I have already signed the light pollution petition.

The binoculars are portable, I drive about one mile from home where the sky is fairly dark to the west of Bristol.

Reflector, Skywhatcher Explorer 150P f/5. EQ3-2 mount

10mm & 25mm eyepieces

8-24mm zoom eyepiece

x2 Barlow

Light polution filter

20 x 80 Celestron binoculars

tjf1370

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. Light pollution (illumination of buildings/street lights/residential security lighting etc) is pretty bad in Bristol, unless you like a crimson sunsets that are still going strong past 3:00 am in the morning!:):D I think you might be thrown by the descriptive use of the word 'heavy' meaning a lot as in heavy traffic which together with the word 'light' might add to the apparent contradiction.:)

Ultimately this means that you will need to observe from a dark site as I do, if you want to see anything that is up there. In order to help you with binocular observing, you might want to take a look at this site along with this one too to help you make a good start. To compliment their suggestions, I would recommend downloading a free piece of planetarium software called 'Stellarium' which you can examine here. Its easy to use with lots of features including an advanced date/time facility so you know when objects will be appearing in the sky, which will certainly help you plan your observing session.

If you need any details on the Bristol astro scene drop me a PM (private message-top right of your screen) and I'll gladly advise you what's going on.

Clear skies for now,

James

What welcome.

I should point out that I'm not confused by 'heavy' or 'light' Both have numerous meanings & it was intentional to use opposing words together (just my sense of humour).

Terry

Hey Terry, welcome from another Brizztolian...things can be pretty bad here...I'm just of Gloucester Rd down in Bishopston. But even so, on the odd occasion it's clear I can make out most of the major (zodiac) constellations along with circumpolar and Orion etc with a little practice and with dark adapted eyes.

Although I admit I do most of my photography from dark sites and star parties.

Enjoy the lounge, they are for the most part a great bunch from which much can be learnt.

Clear Skies

Mike

Hi tjf, welcome from another old geezer in Swindon. Used to live in Bath, so youthful days spent in the Rummer and Hatchetts, probably gone now. Just wished I had got into astronomy sooner! Unfortunately my more recent visits to Bristol have included the BRI, so my heart is not up to much I am afraid, but I enjoy life and especially astronomy.

Archived