Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Of all the scientists in all of time ..........

Nillchill

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Past: Charles Darwin - I'd love to question him before he published his book 'On the Origin of Species' and learn more about his internal struggle of his ideas vs his religion. Fascinating.

Present: Richard Dawkins. He actually visited my department last summer but I was away with work. Gutted.

I'd like to meet Dawkins too, I used to visit the science buildings at Ox Uni a lot, and although I knew his office location and internal phone number -I never had a legitimate reason to contact him. I did think about popping along, taking his morning break biccies and saying hi, but I'd probably get the sack :)

So many its so difficult. And so many good reasons pointed out on here. And of course theres sanmatt.

Think I would go for Robert Oppenheimer just to let him know he wasnt the destroyer of worlds. Mankind itself has that honour.

Let me take a trip back to Ancient Greece (having brushed up on the language!) and hobnob with:

Pythagoras.

I'd just love to have to explain to him about how Fermat, centuries later, messed up all his beautiful discoveries about triangles: 3-4-5 and all that...

And I suppose I'd want to quiz him, what's all this nonsense about beans*?

All the same I think he'd have been a treat to listen to - and no mean musician too!

*Actually I know the answer to this - and it's nothing to do with the edible kind!

I would vote for Alessandro Volta and Luigi Galvani. For the invention of the battery and a means of generating electricity. I would also like to have met Alan Turing and Tommy Flowers the fathers of digital electronic computing. Without any of these we may have not been here talking across the web :D

Regards

Kevin

Darwin or Richard Feynman, but I suspect Feynman would be more lively down the pub.

Hawking is well known in Cambridge for having a fairly sour temperament. My closest thing to a meeting with him was when I got hit by his chair as I stood outside a book shop.

Darwin or Richard Feynman, but I suspect Feynman would be more lively down the pub.

Hawking is well known in Cambridge for having a fairly sour temperament. My closest thing to a meeting with him was when I got hit by his chair as I stood outside a book shop.

Where there's a blame there's a claim!! lol

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump this but I have never been happy with my answer and hav thought of this ever since.

Although I still rate and would like to meet the ones I have mentioned I have been reading a few things and these three are top of my list right now.

Hugh Everett III, Richard Feynman and Werner Heisenberg.

I think I could spend a lifetime with them and still not be any wiser.

Archived