Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Would you recommend this scope?

Ganymede12

I'm looking to upgrade my scope and another user,ollypenrice, Suggested that I upgrade to the Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian. I've read lots about it and olly has given me information on it but before I decide once and for all to get it I was hoping I could get other opinions on the scope?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

I saw the 200p edition on Optical visions website. It is a lot more expensive but since I'm upgrading I may as well upgrade to the best scope I can, right? But then again, the 200p is £80 more expensive. Is the "200" really worth the extra £80?

I'm upgrading to this shortly, I'm glad this question has actually being asked, though to add my budget isn't set in stone and I could squeeze a little more cash, is the 200 really going to be worth it in the long run over the 150 or for a similar price would another be recommended?

I'm upgrading to this shortly, I'm glad this question has actually being asked, though to add my budget isn't set in stone and I could squeeze a little more cash, is the 200 really going to be worth it in the long run over the 150 or for a similar price would another be recommended?

Hi Lynxi

That isn't an upgrade I would recommend if you already have the 150.

If you already have the 150 I would go for a 10" Dob minimum. 12" would be even better if circumstances allow.

Regards Steve

Hi

I have the 200P and am very impressed with it. This scope strikes the ideal balance between portability and lightgrasp. It fits into my car, a medium-sized hatchback, and can be set up and taken down in five minutes. Storage is not a problem as the scope stands upright on the base in the hall cupboard.

Search under the Members Equipment Reviews subforum on SGL and hunt down a local astro group so that you can speak to the members and try before you buy.

HTH!

I think the "is it worth it ?" questions are very hard to answer. A 200mm does, of course, give more performance, than a 150mm. Better views of deep sky objects and the potential of a bit more detail of the planets when the seeing conditions allow it.

Whether that difference is worth the extra cost is, I think, something only the individual person can decide. All we can do is to describe, as best we can, what the difference is.

I agree with John - the improvement in view is definitely worth going for - but it's up to you how much you're prepared to pay for that improvement.

As mentioned above - I would also consider the "amount" of improvement. Personally I would go for a larger change in aperture to say 10" cos the difference will be even more noticeable. But then you have to consider your other criteria like portability, affordability, and storage etc.

So it's a bit of a balancing act really. :)

We use the 150P and 200P as loan scopes at our Society and both are excellent value for money. If you can stretch to the 200P it is well worth it, then aim for a couple of slightly better eyepieces and a Telrad finder for a great complete visual package.

Best wishes,

Linton

I concur with some of those comments (we have all heard of appature fever) you will always want a bigger scope and there aint no cure....buy the biggest scope you can find, like a 10" dobson or bigger. bear in mind weight, bringing from where you store it to where you use it. the 10" dobson can weigh up to 30 kilos all in - and larger telescopes need a logistics company to move and are better parked in an observtory. the 16" lightbridge meade dobson, for example, has a base that is wider than a standard door opening!......there is a lot to be said for small refractors too. but remember as is so often said....the best scope in your collection is the one you use, so choose carefully

signed, Declan

Very Disturbed

Co laois

OK so if I go ahead and buy it, get the 200p. But there is one slight issue I still worry about. How much bigger is It than the 150p? I have an area that will suit the 150p but If I buy the 200p will it still fit?

The area is (roughly) 100cm X 40cm (floor space) and 125cm high.

In the real world (i.e. outside of really large apertures 30" and above) I feel that a 4" increase in aperture provides a satisfying difference. 3" to 6" is good though and 6" to 10" also as others have said. up to 10" dobs there's not a massive difference in size and weight but at 12" they are starting to get large. for visual observing I feel dobs offer the best possible views for the money and a stable mount.

OK so if I go ahead and buy it, get the 200p. But there is one slight issue I still worry about. How much bigger is It than the 150p? I have an area that will suit the 150p but If I buy the 200p will it still fit?

The area is (roughly) 100cm X 40cm (floor space) and 125cm high.

The base of the 150 and the 200 are both 520mm diameter and the overall height is also about the same so they will take up the same amount of storage room.

Johnn

[quote name='Ganymede12;2244 I went from a 70mm refractor to a 150p dob ... far far better in my opinion and well worth it ... but I always wished I'd spent the extra and got the 200p!

Good luck mate they are both excellent scopes

THE BASE IS 52cm diameter """"'' get your tape measure out 956]OK so if I go ahead and buy it' date=' get the 200p. But there is one slight issue I still worry about. How much bigger is It than the 150p? I have an area that will suit the 150p but If I buy the 200p will it still fit?

The area is (roughly) 100cm X 40cm (floor space) and 125cm high.[/quote']

I went from a 70mm refractor to a 150p dob ... far far better in my opinion and well worth it ... but I always wished I'd spent the extra and got the 200p!

Good luck mate they are both excellent scopes

THE BASE IS 52cm diameter """"'' get your tape measure out

Archived