740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Samtheeagle's Nest

samtheeagle

Well they don't stick out very far, less than the top plate. But yes, it could well hurt... Foam corners can always be added :) It's solid now, that's what I care about...

You could pad the whole thing in foam too, would avoid feeling cold from touching it :).

Saturday night was forecast to be clear, so I spent a bit of time during the day trying to get everything hooked up to the newly improved pier. My hope was to get the majority of the gubbins fixed to the pier so that the rats nest of cables will originate from there, with just the one USB cable going back to the laptop. So far so good. I've got the cigar power sockets on there, a DC power supply for the DSLR, the shutter release box, and a 7 port USB hub.

post-3645-0-93678100-1349028286_thumb.jp

The night was kinda clear in the end, but nothing to write home about, and the moon was blazing away, so I just had a bit of a test session. All in all it messed me about with lots of USB issues. :( I don't know whether it's the hub or the cables or the laptop or what, but my machine was very unhappy with a number of hard lock ups during the evening. Traditionally the DSI which I use for guiding is temperamental, but that worked flawlessly, shame about all the other bits. The EOS utils remote shooting app didn't work properly, failing to download the images to my PC. And the auto calibration feature of AstroArt5 guiding repeatedly claimed that my mount didn't move enough. That last one could just be a config issue, but I'm using the same gear as always, and it's managed before, so who knows?

Still, it's all starting to look like a working obsy now, just a few wrinkles to iron out :D Oh and some nice flooring tiles, hopefully they'll arrive soon...

Yeah, that's my fall back plan, and what I've had to do in the past... The laptop only has 4 usb ports though. I've got a powered hub which is drawing juice from a 2A cigar lighter USB widget, so I'm pretty confident that it's not a power issue. It just seems that a lot of these high bandwidth devices really don't get on with hubs, which is a real pain. What I've tried today is to pop another usb hub out there, just a small unpowered one for the mouse, gamepad and the GPS dongle, which are less critical to the imaging process. The less going into the hub with the cameras and EQDIR the better me thinks.

Yes, the availability of USB ports is a big problem. I'm using a netbook for most of my imaging and control but I've added an old XP desktop into my warm room to use for my wide-field/finder camera. The netbook has only 3 USB ports. Unfortunately, with some computers, some of the USB ports are actually on an internal hub and the full USB2 bandwidth is shared betwen two ports. Even with desktops, you have to be careful that USB cards don't share USB bandwidth between ports.

Nice progress Sam you're about there now arn't you:) The pier is looking good with the fins are you still going to fill it with sand as well or have the fins fully done the trick? hope you get your USB woes sorted so you can get on with enjoying your new Obsy:)

Chris

Cheers Chris :)

Yeah, it's fully operational now! Well, when it decides to work :p The only big thing left to do is pop the floor tiles in when (if) they ever arrive. Lots of little things that I can potter about with in the future of course, like some corner shelves for keeping bits and bobs on, and probably some insulation to try and cut down condensation when it turns colder. It's pretty compact in there, but it's perfectly adequate for my needs, and having mains power and kit always setup is going to be epic. I've switched the custom park position around from the picture shown above so that the telescope is away from the door. It's much easier to get inside with the counterweight pointing at the doorway :)

Oh and yes, the pier is filled with sand. I did that before adding the fins, and it made a slight difference. It's the fins that have sorted the problem out. I'm defo going to lose some subs when the heavy trains come rumbling through, but I knew that was going to happen when I started out on this mad caper...

• Like 1

Unexpected clear skies last night gave me the chance to do some more testing... Separating the devices over a couple of USB hubs seems to have improved things no end. This is only one test of course, but it's a good sign. The only thing I really had issues with was getting AstroArt5 to guide for me. Often it refused to calibrate for me, stating that the scope didn't move enough, and when it did it would give me varying results, so I'm not sure I trust it at all. I need to do some calculations so that I can manually tune the guiding parameters I think, but to be honest I might just use PHD. I gave that a quick go last night and it worked first time, and gave me some of the flattest graphs I've ever had.

Oh yeah, and the floor tiles have finally arrived! That's a wee job for this evening me thinks :)

Yeah, I've had it give me 62 degree angle on one calibration and then -92 on another immediately afterwards. I'm using a finder guider setup, so I don't know if that's the issue? Perhaps AA5 assumes a few things about the guide scope? I know in PHD with finder guiders we have to up the calibration step size to get it moving enough, but I'm not aware of AA5 having a similar option...

After a fair bit of faffing about I've got the floor tiles in. And all very nice they look too. I've had to mod the wee stool I perch on out there, as the legs looked like they were going to pop holes in the foam tiles, but other than that I'm sorted.

I've also built myself a new shutter bulb control device, as I had two usb items based on the same usb->serial chip, and I wondered if that might be causing an issue? I had another session out there last night, and everything worked very well, so here's hoping...

And I've given up on trying to get AA5 to guide for me. I experimented quite a lot, and determined that I needed to invert an axis, and the guiding was much improved, but not very good. I'd still lose maybe 1 in 4 subs due to guide failures :( So back to PHD I went, and it worked like a charm, with a single sub messed up the rest of the night. So as nice as it would be to get AA5 guiding for me (it cost real money after all), I haven't got enough clear nights to waste on it when I have another option that I know does the business.

I think my obsy build thread is complete :D Everything now is just nice to have fluff. It's been a lot of hard work, but so totally worth it. Being able to get up and running in next to no time, and packed up even quicker is a god send. And couple that with being able to monitor the imaging session from inside the warm house, well, it's just AWESOME!

• Like 1

It is nice but ATM it seems a bit of a white elephant :D As does a couple of grand's worth of equipment! Still, playing with cameras, screwdrivers, bits of copper and aluminium etc. is quite fun :D

Yeah, too much cloud :( That said, with my gear setup in the obsy I used a cloudy night to do a run of Darks to build up a bit of a library :) There are just so many advantages to having a perm setup! I now have 10 each of 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 minute darks at ~10C. I'll do the same again on other cloudy nights to build up the library for different temps.