Can it happen

Natt

Hi all, Something that has been on my mind for the last few days. Last Sunday morning 1/4/12. I was outside enjoying a cuppa, This would of been about 4.30 5.00am, I was gazing up as i do, I see a "shooting star" Now what happened next is where i am unsure, To me it looked like it hit something and bounce off at about 30- 40 deg leaving a nice longish tail. Can this happen???? or is it just my mind playing silly buggers??

Cheers

Natt

Interesting post/question.

A few yrs ago i was observing a meteor shower (the Geminids) and i saw a couple of meteors that appeared to be on an elastic band.

What i mean is................from my perspective they seemed to move in one direction then they seemed to spring back on themselves and go back in the direction they had just came from.

This was just too strange. I can only think that when this sort of thing happens that the meteor is physically bouncing off of the atmosphere on entry.

Least you know you are not going bonkers. If you are, then i am also.

I don`t think meteors stop and suddenly change direction, throughout my observing years I have, on two occasions, seen something similar, bright points of light, once a pair the other a single, very, very fast moving, then stopping suddenly and changing direction, the pair split at about 45° and went in different directions, the other did the same thing. What was it, I have no idea. I have spoken with others and there does not seem to be any rational solution, but one thing is certain, there is no craft on this Earth that can fly at that speed and maneuver as they did. Maybe the film Men in Black is nearer the truth than fiction, or as they say "we are not alone" :icon_salut:

Hi all, Something that has been on my mind for the last few days. Last Sunday morning 1/4/12. I was outside enjoying a cuppa, This would of been about 4.30 5.00am, I was gazing up as i do, I see a "shooting star" Now what happened next is where i am unsure, To me it looked like it hit something and bounce off at about 30- 40 deg leaving a nice longish tail. Can this happen???? or is it just my mind playing silly buggers??

Cheers

Natt

A *possibility* is that as the meteor heated up, a small bubble of gas inside it expanded and it exploded, causing the sudden change in direction.

I don`t think meteors stop and suddenly change direction, throughout my observing years I have, on two occasions, seen something similar, bright points of light, once a pair the other a single, very, very fast moving, then stopping suddenly and changing direction, the pair split at about 45° and went in different directions, the other did the same thing. What was it, I have no idea. I have spoken with others and there does not seem to be any rational solution, but one thing is certain, there is no craft on this Earth that can fly at that speed and maneuver as they did. Maybe the film Men in Black is nearer the truth than fiction, or as they say "we are not alone" :)

About three years ago i saw the same as this, the lights were red and i watched it for a good three mins before they disappeared very interesting to know someone has seen the same

Maybe the US have completed their Star Defense project in secret and what you saw was a meteor being shot out of the sky by their orbital laser platform? :)

Nah!! Ya'll shouldn't think to highly of the USA... We are more worried about McDonalds than what we are doing in space...

I have seen this sort of thing on two occasions and it had me baffled, at first I thought satellite but for the objects to change direction and leave trails like they did ( UFO ) never thought of exploding meteors hitting the atmosphere.. a logical explanation.. maybe.

Archived