Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Jammy

e-petition - stargazing

Already signed :)

Ahh gottit yup signed and must agree with some other posts can we publicise this and or improve terms of petition mebbe link to environmental groups I dunno-- I would have a go but I haven't even got the hang of where to find stuff or post appropriately here yet! Pretty much of an IT stumbler!

Signed !

Light pollution is so wasteful - perhaps that a better way to start the campaign text in this age of penny pinching and austerity measures. Money, after all, is the only thing that certain people understand, or even care about.

However, I did like the bit about declaring the sky a site of special scientific interest or even an Area of outstanding natural beauty - which it is !

Sticking something the size of a bin lid on top of a domestic street's lights will prevent a huge cone of light from going straight up, and will reflect most of that energy down, meaning a lower power bulb can be used for the same illumination result, even if they stick with the same technology.

Well I did mention this in the last thread about it, we need to keep in mind the following;

- This exercise in 'direct democracy' only ensures that the parlimentary commision in charge considers this motion for debate

- This commision is loath to pass things on for debate in the house without the petition having a parlimentary sponsor

- Even if it does get passed onto the Commons for debate it maybe removed from the schedule if prior business overruns & will no doubt bring out the whole 'darkness is the friend of criminals' & 'we'll all be murdered in our beds' brigade of fools that are otherwise known as MPs who like to pander to the lowest common denominator.

Now I have signed the petition and passed onthe link to those I know who understand whats going on.

I think if we all can write to the MPs who represent us that might lead to a better result, especially if one or two MPs get lots of letters (i'm thinking those who represent areas where there are more of us astro types than elsewhere) who then might introduce a private members bill about LP & making changes to reduce it.

Just a lil food for thought as it were & please dont shoot the messenger, i know some of its not what we want to hear, but we have to think about it now rather than later

Edited by Kit-Fox

Signed! Living on the outskirts of Middlesbrough means this is a huge issue for me. Don't think they'll be able to turn the industry off though.. although the recession is doing a good job of that by itself.

Signed and also reposted it on Facebook for others to sign. Well the waste of space site has got be good for something at least lol

just signed it, but a long way to go before 100,000 signitures

Regards

Ben

I've added my name to the list - as the night sky has to be be the number one SSSI and a AONB.

By the way if you do amateur spectroscopy (especially high resolution work) then the impact of light pollution is pretty small.

cheers

John

Turn off all the street lights and that may reduce the need for those b****y great windmills that blight the countryside!

Turn off all the street lights and that may reduce the need for those b****y great windmills that blight the countryside!

We are all forgetting of course that the reason we have street lights everywhere is becuase the power industry successfully lobbied the government to provide them under the guise of making neighbourhoods safe.

Really what they wanted was somewhere for the power to be shunted to when the factories and mills closed at the end of the working day, so the power wasnt wasted.

Here in Caithness light pollution is not a big problem, but signed for you poor folks from the south of the country :)

signed it a while ago. should be made mandatory for all members to sign