Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Jammy

e-petition - stargazing

Wow! I wasn't expecting this response when I posted this on here yesterday - although I should have expected it.

Since I found the petition yesterday 187 signatures have been added. Well done everyone!

I do agree with Dav1d that the wording isn't great, but at least it highlights the problem. Thats a start!!

Also, well done SGL for highlighting it in the banner - great idea.

Do we know any high profile people that would be willing to re-tweet the link???

it says i must be a uk resident to sign,

gimme a town and post code

Is there any reason why stargazerslounge.com dont have a FB Group even if its just this e-petition and anyothers that come up its a good place to get support for things.

Just thinking.

Its at 2,401 now just need another 97599 to goGET THE WORD OUT less than a year left of this one lets push it :icon_salut:

Considering that's petition has been active since mid-January, I'm surprised that it doesn't already have far more signatures.

(When you've got quite a few "popular" astronomers sometimes bragging about having thousands of followers on Twitter, you'd think they could do something useful with it and mobilise those followers.)

yes indeed, so I have added a blog and advertised it in my Army form. If we really want this we should also ask all friends to vote. I am now putting it on facebook too.

Now posted on the skyatnightmag facebook page, and asked them to retweet.

Now on Facebook. My street has been 'dark skied' and Birmingham Council is doing the whole city apparently. The difference is excellent. Their contractors came around and dug up the old lamps then another lot came around and planted new ones with a smaller headlight signature. The result is that recently the moon,jupiter and venus graced the front of our house with a celestial display that outshone the street lights. Orion shone out like something only before seen in my BACK garden!! The attached shows the low light signature of the lamps in relation to Jupiter and Venus and the Moon. Taken in March with my phone.

post-26065-13387775864_thumb.jpg

Edited by red_devil

Thanks Jamie

I have just signed up and hoping more will follow, at least my grandson may have a chance of seeing the night skies the way it should be seen

we as a country should be saving money and our planet all these City shops and offices should turn them off at night if no work is being done ask you MP why we are wasting money

To be fair a lot of the office blocks that I work in at night have proximity lights that only come on as I walk around but there is still a long long way to go. I can see whole cities reflected in the clouds, its way too much waste.

ha was posting on this last night talking about we should get the forum behind it, come back and its on 5 pages- great stuff...even though theres a notice at the top we should try and keep this at the top..get as much forum time as we can