Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2 different Rosettes from SGL7

Shibby

This is my first attempt at an Ha image, which I took at SGL7. I have to say, this filter really is magic - the narrowband data is a joy to work with :icon_salut: Normally I'm battling to seperate the signal from the sky background but not with Ha! The nice, dark sky at SGL7 probably helps a lot too.

It's 22x5min, so only ~1.8hrs at ISO 800 with my 450D. Could do with more subs to reduce the noise, but I can't see that happening this year as we are losing the early evening Milky Way now.

shibby-albums-deep-sky-picture16723-rosette-ha-22x5mins-canon-450d-baader-7nm-ha-filter.jpg

My friend John brought his Nikon D7000 to the party, which we had piggybacked on my scope rings, loading the old Vixen GP up to the max :D

He captured 7x5min subs at 35mm (35mm film equivalent: 50mm) f/5.6 ISO 800 to show the same area in wide-field. The Rosette is centre-frame. Also showing up are the dust lanes through the Monoceros region of the milky way. The bright red star is Betelgeuse and just peeking in at the bottom is the Flame&Horsehead (just to the left of the Dew Shield Nebula!). John did remarkably well to get this one nicely in focus without any kind of focusing mask!

shibby-albums-deep-sky-picture16724-rosette-wide-field-through-monoceros-taken-my-friend-john-piggybacked-nikon-d7000-7x5min.jpg

Nice shots there Lewis. Just got a Ha filter myself and working out a good Ha target to try it out on. Once the obligatory weeks worth of cloud has passed after I buy anything of course!!

Cheers John

Well that turned out really nice Lewis!

I saw the subs coming in live from this one and even a raw single sub looked good, so the stack has turned out quite well. Well done to John for getting a splendid widefield too :D

Did you manage to get any more subs on the HH? Or have you still got the John head in Ha?...lol.. :icon_salut:

Thanks folks :D

Did you manage to get any more subs on the HH? Or have you still got the John head in Ha?...lol.. :icon_salut:

Lol! Well, several of John's Orion subs do have headtorches wiggling through them! I only got 4 or 5 subs on the horsey in the end ;) Promising though I think!

shibby-albums-deep-sky-picture16737-horsehead-early.jpg

Here's a quick mosaic using another of John's images, continuing through Auriga. The faint red nebulosity showing is the flaming star & tadpoles.

shibby-albums-deep-sky-picture16736-jdmosaic.jpg

Archived