Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Chris's Obsy build

Chris

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Right! :) I've made some more progress, firstly I had to decide wether to felt my RoR with the felt I already had or buy a rubber roofing kit which would be lighter and last longer. I decided to my surprise to go with the felt, this was firstly because I turned the roof section over and realised that it was actually quite a lot lighter than I had initially thought, and secondly it was 3 weeks since my last wage slip and I was over 200 pounds overdrawn (I got payed yesterday so its all ok now :) )

Here is the finished roof with felt, along side the galvanised U-channel I found at Wickes for a fiver each! Would you believe I managed to fit them both in my Fiat Panda although the boot was wide open tied down with string, and a good 12" of it was poking diagonally through the front passenger window:D Don't worry I secured the load thoroughly I wouldn't wan't to javalin anyone during an emergency stop:)

post-16129-0-37011400-1348952907_thumb.j

Next I had to go to town with the diagonal obsy wall supports as discussed above, also I broke out an array of metal L-brackets to make sure the whole thing was rock solid ready for the RoR to be placed on it without the whole thing imploding!

post-16129-0-59448800-1348953848_thumb.j

post-16129-0-65881800-1348953863_thumb.j

post-16129-0-90934600-1348953881_thumb.j

I then turned my attention to the runners for the RoR, I had thought about just attaching the galvanised U-channel to the top of the walls, but the the timbers that form the top of the walls arn't that wide so it would not allow that much adjustment for the 1/4" discrepancy I had with the 8 Castors I had attached to the roof, therefore I deciced that I should add some slightly wider timber to the top of the walls so I could just sit the U-channel loosely on top then once I've got help to lift the rolling roof onto the U-channels I could adjust the channels before fixing. Also it would add strength to the top of the walls plus my pier is on the high side at 49" so it would help give slightly more roof clearence at the price of slightly less horizon which doesn't matter because of the light polution low down anyway:D

I found some 2 3/4" x 3/4" timber at B&Q after work today and I've just given it a first coat of Cuprinol with wax:

post-16129-0-82812100-1348955325_thumb.j

Have you thought of counter sinking the holes so the screws will be flush? What's the u channel like? we use stuff we call hockey stick channel at work on hgv trailers rear doors and we either pop rivet it on, use counter sunk screws and sometimes use sickoflex its like a very strong industrial sealant works quite well.

Stu ~

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Stu:) I think these are the only two options really, my initial thought was to screw it down but I'm not sure how well the Galvanised metal will machine? I'm also not sure if its thick enough to sufficiently counter sink so the screw heads are flush? I'm leaning towards industrial strength outdoor instant grab/sealant/glue type stuff, I will look up this sickoflex stuff, interesting brand name by the way:D

Lol yeah its ment to be sikaflex woops lol gd stuff maybe some of tht and flat head nails ? Maybe wooden straps butted against the underside of the u channel for support?

How have you found the build so far? I built a warm room instead of am obsy. Got a large area of my garden decked next to it so tht is my observation/ imaging area. Just need clear skys now ! Lol

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

lol Sikaflex sounds like a much more respectable brand name:D

I've been treating some nice timber to sit under neath the U-channel so plenty of surface area for fixing. I've really enjoyed the build its been a nice challange and I really like working with wood, I'm looking forward to getting it finished though it will be nice not to have to rule out a night because it might get cloudy in an hour:) Also its been quite difficult juggling the build with work and a baby to look after. I'd be interested to see a pic of your build, do you have a build thread?:)

YIPEE! the rolling roof section is on! :) It was probably the heaviest thing I've ever had to lift far above my head in my life! so glad its on:) My father in law came round to help me lift it but we still must have been lifting 60kg each, could have done with four poeple in hindsight.

Summary of progress: I gave the timbers that support the U-channel 4 coats of wood treatment and glued and screwed them to the top of the side walls, followed by doing the same with the U-channels. I stappled some doubled up damp proof course to the sides of the fixed roof section and under the U-channel so water doesn't ingress where the felt will stop and the U-channel begins. I ran a bead of instant grab filler around where the rails meet the rail support timbers on the inner side so walter doesn't ingress with capillary action into the scope room. Me and Mike (father in law) lifted the roof sections on to the rails.

I'm pleased to report that the roof roles beautifully:) Two wheels on the right side don't quite make contact with the rails although this is only by about 1mm so when all the timber settles down this might resolve.

post-16129-0-97867700-1349639113_thumb.j

post-16129-0-42165900-1349639136_thumb.j

post-16129-0-31378600-1349639175_thumb.j

post-16129-0-84064100-1349639201_thumb.j

Thanks Sam:), and I reckon nearly is a relative term:D

Next up I'll be felting the fixed roof, stappling some damp proof course around the bottom of the RoR to seal it, then facia boards over that, then I'll be extended the metal U-channel out the front a bit further with large angle brackets to support it, and although the tongue and groove is tanalised I want to paint or treat the obsy for better protection, perferably a light colour to reflect heat, I was thinking something along the lines of duck egg blue, or a clear or light stain.

Yeah I'm not keen on the pipes either I much prefer guitar and piano, they should have kept a link with astronomy by having some Brian May guitar riffs in the background or something:)

More has happened with the obsy: I've felted the fixed roof, doubled up some damp proof sheet all around the open bits which I will place facias over, and remembering what happened to poor Gina's roof earlier this year I decided to secure the roll of roof with M10 eyed bolts through the top of the wall frames and adjacent to them through the timbers supporting the wheels, I hope to then secure the adjacent eyes to each other with something like rigging like on a boat, or I'm open to suggestions? I'll post some pics which might explain things a bit better:)

Looking good... not long now :)

how long do you think till you get first light from a warm obsy with a hot chocolate lol?

Thanks shellfish:) I'm hoping it will be usable by December and completely finished to the finest detail by next spring. I'm trying to get all the timbers pre treated and painted at the moment but the weather has been absolutely terrible recently:(

Archived