Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Chris's Obsy build

Chris

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes thanks Andy much better, I've even managed to get the fixed roof section up today, really happy that I've made some more progress:)

Progress summary: removed temp roof, cut off gable ends, reformed top of doorway, added timber and screwed and glued front of shed to warm room framing for strength, added a length of timber to the top back of the framing to form a slope once the roofs in place, then screwed and glued the roof section in place.

Some pics of todays events:

post-16129-0-43031000-1346450578_thumb.j

post-16129-0-54710800-1346450723_thumb.j

post-16129-0-14097800-1346450768_thumb.j

post-16129-0-71118100-1346450799_thumb.j

post-16129-0-98185100-1346450830_thumb.j

That's looking good.

Are you using interlocking matching for the cladding? If so, can I suggest from my experience that you may want a few more verticals to nail them to, to stop them gapping. I left too large a gap (about the same as yours) and am now adding more as the matchings weather in and 'gap'.

Typed by me, using fumms...

That's looking good.

Are you using interlocking matching for the cladding? If so, can I suggest from my experience that you may want a few more verticals to nail them to, to stop them gapping. I left too large a gap (about the same as yours) and am now adding more as the matchings weather in and 'gap'.

Typed by me, using fumms...

Thanks Earth Titan, its 12mm tongue and groove on the walls it all looks nice and tight at the moment so it would be a shame for that to change so I will do as you suggest, it will also add strength to the structure in general which can't be a bad thing:)

Glad you're all better mate, and it looks like you been going great guns! Looking really good, am already jealous now the weathers starting to take a colder turn lol ;-)

Have you managed to test the pier yet?

Thanks Andy, just stick plenty of layers on mate, you're going to love the crisp clear skies in the winter and some great targets to go for such as M42 with your modded camera:) see how you feel after your first winter, you might want to go the obsy route eventually, god I'm terrible for putting ideas into your head :D

Andy- not done anything else with the pier yet, next job is to cut down and lighten the old 10'x6' pitched roof to 6'6"x6' to form the role off roof section. I also need to buy some U-channel and wheels any one know of some good ones to get?

One thing I found that strengthened the structure no end was to fit diagonal braces between the uprights. This stopped the tendency (especially pre-cladding) for the framing to run out of squareness. I would also agree with the others in that you need more bracing to reduce the risk of the T&G opening up. My frames are at 16" centres and given that the temperatures in the warm room can go from -8c in the winter to +40c in the summer (internal temps) I still notice areas where the wood has tried to move. Originally I used 30mm brads from a nail gun to attache the T&G, and after the first summer went round with 40mm galvanized round head nails as most of the boards were gaping !

This was my framing before coating with preservative and cladding -

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=39484

Thanks Malc, I will go to town with some diagonals in that case, if your getting this happen with your impressive framework then the problems going to be hugely amplified with my shed conversion framing:)

Because the tolerances are so bad with shed panel seconds it has a certain amount of out of squareness to it already!, the whole thing leans slightly left, the left panel bows out slightly, the right panel bows in slightly, you can only notice it when you look closely of course but if I don't brace it well and it gets worse then I might have to name it the wonky observatory :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys the rolling roof section is almost complete, I just need to add a few more 75mm castors and some felt to finish off. I must admit I'm a bit worried about the weight of this thing once the felts on, I pulled a muscle just carrying the rolls of felt from my car today:D

Progress summary: I cut down the shed roof panels from 10' to 6'6" and used the gable ends that I had previously cut off the front and back of the shed to form the A-frames at the ends of the roof. I added an extra A-frame to the centre for strength and treated timbers either side supported by the A-frames to mount the castors.

post-16129-0-81477000-1347918894_thumb.j

post-16129-0-10267800-1347918913_thumb.j

Coming on nicely :)

Yes, felt is heavy - one reason I went for rubber roofing for mine. Lighter and very easy to apply with no joins.

Thanks Gina:)

Where did you source your rubber from if you don't mind me asking, I still have the receipt for the felt:D

Thanks Gina:)

Where did you source your rubber from if you don't mind me asking, I still have the receipt for the felt:D

I used one of these shed kits :- http://www.rubber4ro...Shed-Roof-Kits/

More expensive than felt but much easier to put on and very long lasting. I was able to put mine on yjr roof in-situ. It comes with it's own pot of adhesive - but watch it, it sticks fingers as welll (if not better!!). I have a flat room on the warm room and an apex roll off roof and no joins in either :)

Correction, I used two kits - did the warm room first and was going to use corrugated bitumin roofing on the roll-off but after doing the warm room I changed my mind and used the rubber roofing again - a much easier and better solution :)

Thanks very much Gina thats great:) I will have a good think about this at work tonight, I'm certainly leaning towards a rubber kit for at least the RoR, might still felt my fixed roof to save a bit of money.

Thanks again,

Chris:)

Archived