Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What am I doing wrong in Registax?

Hi,

I was hoping someone could explain to me what I am doing wrong with Registax.

I have downloaded version 6 with the update and I am trying to stack a 2 second section of AVI video that contains about 80 frames, just as a practice.

I set 'CPU' to '1' as I read somewhere that you should do this.

I then select the video and the first frame appears in the preview window, but when I click on 'Open' to actually open the file in Registax the software just sits there and nothing appears in the main Registax programme.

I can open other programs and do other things - I am typing this now whilst Registax is thinking about what it is doing - but I cannot click on any of the buttons in Registax and I have previously left it running for a couple of hours or more with the same result.

The only way I can close Registax down is to go to Task Manager and End Task. Before I do this Task Manager says that Registax is running so it hasn't frozen which would give the 'not responding' status.

The programme works so well for other people, it must be something really basic that I am doing wrong. :icon_salut:

Just for clarity I am running a 2.6 GHz dual Intel processor with 3 Gb of RAM and an NVIDIA GeForce 210 graphic card with 1 Gb on board.

Any thoughts/help on this would be gratefully received. At the moment I am just playing with the programme but I would like to start using it seriously very soon.

Regards, Bryan

Hi,

I've found similar problems to you & after having done a Google for Registax 6 tutorial I found out how to work it - at a very basic level!

The program has the most idiosyncratic interface I've ever seen & I don't think it's possible to explain it in one paragraph - best thing is to run through at least a couple of the tutorials & get your head around some of the concepts.

Hope this helps,

Nope, that's still not working!

Still taking ages to do anything. I end up getting tired of waiting.

How long should a 69 MB file take to load?

My 2.92 MB AVI file came out as a 69.4 MB file after saving as an old AVI file in VirtualDub! :icon_salut:

Bryan

When I click 'select' it opens a dialogue box where I can click on my avi and then when I click 'open' it appears in my registax window instantly (a 700MB avi). Then I can click on 'set alignpoints' straight away.

I don't know enough about computors/software to suggest fixes when its not working but here is a link which explains the cpu settings:

RegiStax- Preview V6

Good luck.

i had exactly the same problem i eventually uninstalled registax and removed the folder from the program files folder then re downloaded it and re installed hey presto it worked great

must have been a dodgy download as the error never happened again make sure you install the version 6 programme before the update for version 6.. hope this helps..

I've had a similar problem getting files to load, in the absence of a complete reload I found a 'work around' that got me going, same as you I'd select a file to open but nothing appeared in registax, so I went back to the file selection window, re-selected the same file and within a second or so it pops up in the registax screen, not ideal perhaps but it got things going.

Graham

Hi Mr Flibble!

Well if you can load a 700 MB file I should be able to load a 69 MB file! I know enough about computers to really screw it up! But not enough to correct it!!!

Basher: I have un-installed the programme a couple of times and re-installed but I am still getting the same problem. I am just wondering now if the update file for 6 is going into the correct folder? :icon_salut: I will have a look when I get home.

E2tS: I don't think this would work for me as I can't click on anything in Registax once I click open from the select window. I will give it a go when I get home tonight however, just in case.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway! :D

Bryan

Hi Mr Flibble!

Well if you can load a 700 MB file I should be able to load a 69 MB file! I know enough about computers to really screw it up! But not enough to correct it!!!

Basher: I have un-installed the programme a couple of times and re-installed but I am still getting the same problem. I am just wondering now if the update file for 6 is going into the correct folder? :icon_salut: I will have a look when I get home.

E2tS: I don't think this would work for me as I can't click on anything in Registax once I click open from the select window. I will give it a go when I get home tonight however, just in case.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway! :D

Bryan

when you uninstalled it did you download a fresh copy and save to disc first before running the install file..

Some of my avi files work, some don't, same camera, same PC.... Either it works straight away or it claims the avi has no frames in it or it hangs as you have found. It tends to work most of the time, which is good as registax 6 burns through data files at a stupid rate and does a pretty darn good job, especially when wavelet sharpened. Keep at it, it is well worth it. Try fiddling with the avi files, probably the problem.

Cheers

pEterW

Hi everyone!

I must admit to not doing a fresh download of the programme and update, just reinstalled the ones in my download folder.

I have now tried about 5 different AVI files - all from the same camera.

The only one I did finally manage to get to work was a 69.4 MB file that was converted to 'old AVI' in VirtualDub from a 2 second 2.92 MB file.

I have tried other files recorded at the same time and coverted in VirtualDub to 'old AVI' and none of them work. They were from larger original files - 23.8 MB files, but still only give 65.9 MB files once converted in VirtualDub.

When the moon gets closer to new and I can get a clear night I want to do a series of stills of Jupiter that I hope to stack. Maybe it will handle .JPG files better. I will also try to download R5 if I can find it somewhere.

In the meantime, thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

Bryan

It'll help you alot more to use "Castrator" first. it Auto centers your image and cuts out alot of excess data from the black background.

After that I stack the images in Autostakker2. Then I use registax6 to work the wavlets in the single .tiff image. It works great that way and seems to be easier on the computer.

After Reg6....I use Image Analyser to add the finishing touches.

• 1 year later...

Hi Bryan,

I read your problem and all the comments and your replies..... I have the EXACT same problem.. I dont know if you have resolved it or not as its about a yr old posting here.... BUT my Reg 6 worked fine till recently... now I too cant load any avi file current created nor any previously created and processed in R6 with no issues prior. I dont know if it's codec related or not... Do you have any further insight or better did you resolve and how etc.

I've run avi's thru VirtualDub.. still no go. Plus like u refer the file becomes enormous... a 213mb turned into a 6GB file... NO way can I nor will I keep files like that. Ive uninstalled, resinstalled copy I originally saved, and also fresh download from website. All results are same., R6 stops responding once I select a file.

I've been using R6 almsost 2yrs without issue... no tutorial will resolve of course lol.. I know how to use it already, I saw that reference !!

Regards,

Kevin

If your file size has jumped from 213MB to 6GB then you original file was using lossy compression, this is not a good idea. Also, old format AVI files are not valid if they are 4GB or larger.

This is almost certainly down to a bad codec being installed that RegiStax is trying to use. Try installing PIPP, that will offer to install the 'Ut Video' codec if it is not installed already. Then try using PIPP to convert one of your AVI files to an AVI file using the 'Ut Video' codec. If this works then the codec was your problem.

I found installing the 'K-lite' codec pack put suitable codecs on my system so that RegiStax 6 could operate well after it magically broke all on its own. Be careful when installing this though as it will install a lot of rubbish on you system if you let it by answering one of the questions wrong.

I hope this helps.

Chris

I have to say... I have the same problems and I have narrowed it down to......my image files are too large.

I have pretty fast PC's....with enough memory to handle this task. But if I even think about stacking say 4 images taken from my camera I may as well go to bed and then switch off the crashed machine in the morning.

I am resigned in the future to capturing low information images for processing.

Yes, RegiStax 6 can fail with larger images due to memory problems. It really does help to crop away as much of the unwanted background as possible, which PIPP will do at the same time as converting from RAW to TIFF files.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the tardy response to this thread!

I have just downloaded the Ut Video Codec Suite and it looks like it has solved my problems. I have just aligned and stacked a 440 Mb file without any problems.

So if you are having the same or similar problem with Registax then try uploading a different codec pack to your system.

Yes, RegiStax 6 can fail with larger images due to memory problems. It really does help to crop away as much of the unwanted background as possible, which PIPP will do at the same time as converting from RAW to TIFF files.

Yeah - with 2GB RAM I've managed 3000x3000 pixels. Much bigger didn't work.

• 1 year later...

I have an issue when I open any input file (AVI, Ser etc). The browse for a file window comes up, I select a file, the preview area remains blank and Registax stops responding. I have to kill it with Task manager and the registax process has climbed from 300mb memory to 1.5 Gb in the short time it takes me to kill the process.

It turns out it is codec related. I downloaded some codecs to work with Vdub. I needed to remove  utvideo-14.2.1-win (UT Video Codec Suite).

Hopefully this info will help someone else out there.

Archived