Solar Imaging ,which scope,camera

Davey-T

I have never tried solar imaging before but would like to try to image

the transit of Venus.

I have a 10" SCT, 100mm Refractor, Canon 450d, Atik314 camera and Minitron video camera.

What would be the best scope, camera combination and what filters

other than solar film on the front end ?

Davey T

I would go with the 100mm refractor (assuming a focal length of 900-1000mm) and the 450D. That will give full disc images with sufficient resolution. You could try a green #58 filter but it is not really necessary if you are careful with the focus and exposure settings. Get yourself set up and practice - it takes a while to get consistently good results.

Do you have an example of an image taken with the above combination of filters at all, as I am interested to see what it would look like, as I am contemplating a similar setup.

Sent from my iPad

This is taken with a SW120 APO, stopped to 100mm aparture, (focal length 900mm) and a Canon 1100D using just a Baader filter. The colour is false and is done in Photoshop. The posted image is reduced from full size - about 2/3 of full size.

29March2012AnnotatedJPEG.jpg

You have a couple of months. I'm sure the sun will make an occasional appearance between now and then. I'd experiment with a few different combinations and see what works for you.

Are you likely to get CA with the refractor? I've not experimented with solar viewing much so I don't know if it's likely to be a problem.

If you want a full disc solar image can you even get one on the sensor with any of the cameras and the SCT?

James

And practise. Depending where you are in the UK on the transit morning, you'll need to be imaging as soon as the sun shows itself.

Also decide what you want to do beforehand, I.e. time lapse, stills, video etc. and get it down pat. You do not want to be messing about with settings etc. once event is underway. You won't get another chance, at least not in this life :icon_salut:

Cheers

Ian

So what would the difference be if you added a Solar Continuum filter as well as the Baader film ?

Also, which scope would be better for solar readiness C9.25 or ED80 ? (i know which is cheaper !)

With my 1100D I use ISO100 and an exposure of 1/2000 sec or less (usually less) when using just the Baader filter. If I add a green filter (which i sometimes do) then the exposure would be around 1/400 sec. My 1000D (before it was modded) used around 1/1000sec at ISO 100.

Basically use the slowest ISO you have and start with the shortest possible exposure time - the Sun is bright! (Even with a filter!!).

• 1 month later...
You have a couple of months. I'm sure the sun will make an occasional appearance between now and then.

James

Do you want to put that in writing James ? oh you did.

Time is running out, Iv'e just set up to have a go and the Sun disappeared.

Are the bookies taking bets on the Sun shining on June 6th perhaps I'll

have a couple of quid on it raining and hedge my bets.

Davey-T

Archived