Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

getting rid of floaters

richbyers

I have very bad floaters and can confirm that the angle of the head makes a big difference. I find head looking straight forward or straight down are worst. waving my head from side to side helps for a while but they seem to settle back. The only time I don't notice mine is on my motor bike but it would be a bit difficult using a scope while riding!

I was told surgery is only an option if there are other eye problems. Apparently it is not a simple surgical procedure.

Hope you get used to yours. good luck.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting to hear from others about this. I've had floaters since my early 20s. I notice them more when looking at something that is uniformly bright, like a bright blue sky or sunlit clouds. I see them too when observing bright objects like the moon and jupiter.

I find ignoring them is the best way - the brain has a habit of adapting to images and I find if I concentrate on my target they seem to fade out.

I've had them since childhood too - in fact I can remember lying on my back gazing up at the clouds and noticing them for the first time and asking my Dad what they were.

"Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid.

I see you there, lurking on the periphery of my vision.

But when I try to look at you, you scurry away.

Are you shy, squiggly line?

Why only when I ignore you do you return to the center of my eye?

Oh, squiggly line, it's all right. You are forgiven."

@bcfciderhead Im thinking maybe you stole that from one Stewie Griffin lol ut must admit I was thinking the same thing!

On a more serious note I think as already stated theres not much you can do about floaters, cant say as I have a an issue at the moment but I know a friends wife recently had laser eye surgery for a seperate issue and the floaters she had in one eye improved and the other worsened... so doesnt appear to me to be a solution, having said that I would be more tempted to address a qualified optometrist than a stargazing forum (even one as knowledgeable as SGL!)

I hope that these floaters arent putting you off the hobby

As long as your retina is not detaching itself u can't do anything about them unfortunately.

I'll have a chat this summer with my super smart eye doctor bro in law. See what he says and what Harley street thinks!

Hi Folks.

Generally, I think most of us suffer with eye problems to some sort of degree. I also suffer with so called floaters now and then, but take no notice of them most of the time. I have been put off observing sometimes, especially whilst viewing the moon. Now I try to look after my eyes the best i can. General light massage sometimes and I believe a good diet can help in keeping them healthy. I have also heard that Bilberry can aid towards healthy eyes but not tried it yet. Hope this helps in some ways.

O-K

I have had a squiggly curled up black line floater since I was 5 years old.

I remember getting an eyelash caught in my eye, my mum getting it out... and then I saw it for the first time! I asked her what it was and she told me to stop telling tales. :icon_salut:

Over the last 25 years it has changed shape(tangled differently) but not gotten any bigger.

For years I was convinced I had been invaded by a parasite. I find if I try really hard I can keep it in the centre of my eye and study it. I am obsessed with it - when I notice it.

I am relieved to find this thread (thankyou OP) and see so many of you with the same problem! I'm not alone!

I got floater on me right eye ever since i knocked side me head and eye december 2011 whilst moving me wheelie bin wheel got stuck somet i lifted wheelie bin on it's side some how it swung round knocked me in side me head/eye and ever since have had floater and some head problems.

been doctors few times had blood test all come back fine

may have to make opticians apointment get me eyes tested sometime

lucky it just small floater seems to effect when looking at white backgrounds or on sunny day sometimes effects usually your brain tends to ignor floaters. you get used to it after awhile.

possibly with age

Yup, got them too. I had put mine down to welding flash etc from my Engineering background, but I'm happy (?) to see I'm not alone and the welding is irrelevant.

I find I only have a really annoying time with them on high mag EPs.

Perhaps trying to manage with a 10mm instead of a 7mm might help? It works for me although it isn't ideal.

Can anyone explain why the high mag EPs are worse? I can't figure it out!!

hi yeah same here soon has i go to smaller e.p the floaters are worse and then theres the gel like stuff!! it blurs the image on a lot of power.

Re the "gel". I get that too. Coagulated eye fluid or external eye goop?

Sorry if you're just sitting down to your tea! :icon_salut:

any tips?

As has already been said, observe with your head as level as possible. Most of us find them worse with small exit pupils, which is a bit awkward if you are going for high magnification.

But the single most effective solution for most people is to observe with two eyes, i.e. binoculars or binoviewers.

Best regards,

Steve

Sent from my HTC with Tapatalk

(so probably riddled with weird predicted words)

I can see mine exceptionally well in my 8mm BST explorer EP... wandering from side to side...

I too had laser eye surgery 2 yrs back, now the world is in HD... it's great. But the floaters are very clear now...

:icon_salut:

But the single most effective solution for most people is to observe with two eyes, i.e. binoculars or binoviewers.

Best regards,

Steve

Good stuff, I just bought a Baader Binoviewer! :icon_salut:

Hence the sh1te weather. Sorry 'bout that. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Dont think they can get rid of floaters after awhile you'll get used to them

depends on how bad floaters are i just today went optitions for me appointment got me eyes tested on 2 special machines

told them i have like 2 dot floaters on me right eye

they done me eye test and said need to wear some high prescription glasses special lenses somet picking them glasses up next week.

Mite aswell get proper glasses rather than me pound shop reading glasses been wearing.

you best checking floater out at local optitions id recommend.

ask optition about floaters if out they can do.

Archived