SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ5 Polar scope fix

steelfixer

Hi all.

Just been fabricating a side by side mount plate ready for when my new addition arrives.

Whilst I have the EQ5 stripped down I decided to do something about the Polar scope.

You know the problem - There is nothing inside the mount to hold the end of the Polar scope, so it floats around on those 3 little adjusting grub screws.

My solution was to remove the AZI part of the mount so I could get into the heart of the mount.

With a set of calipers I measured the internal taper of the tube the Polar scope sits in.

10 mins on a lathe and I turned up a nice shiney Brass collet.

The outside of the collet has the same taper as the mount and the inside has been bored out to accept the Polar scope.

I placed the collet into the tube and applied one swift smack with a hammer.

The Polar scope can now be inserted and adjusted as usual but now it cannot go any where.

Thanks

Graham

post-26845-133877757815_thumb.jpg

post-26845-133877757824_thumb.jpg

Very interesting Graham, thanks for that.

I have owned an EQ5 for all of a week and didn't know I had this problem (yet). I have a lathe and brass stock at the ready for when I have a full understanding of my new mount. I would have to work up a bit of bravery before using the hammer though.

Cheers,

Pete.

Peter - you will soon find out about this one it will drive you nuts after a while.

Cheers James it was about time I have only been threatening to do something about it for a year.

Nev - I never gave it a thought, mind that is not a bad idea. I will look into it.

Archived