Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Matthew

Possible South Wales Group Star Party

ahhh no worries mat, i bet it would be nice cos of the coast, and i think dave mentioned his brother had hostle building which might help any one not wanting to have a tent

the brecon site looks good mat, i cant find it unfortunatly the map program wont work im using a old computer which apple hasnt bothered to allow updates for java any more :)

More the merrier:) until we take over the park lol any idea the trip on the leccy there mat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I havnt got a clue gaz :), I'Ve emailed them but they havnt replied yet.Theres a few sites within a 20 mile radius once I know if they can accommodate us I will do a evening reccy with the kids to see what sky conditions are like

I like the sound of a weekend away gazing, tent and all.

I have a mondeo and will go on my own so if anyone from the newport area has transport problems i should have the room to share a lift.

Update..............Blackmountains can a accommodate us on those dates,but they can only provide 8 electric hook ups but im sure we can share if we decide to use the,.im still waiting on a response from a couple of other campsites but im hoping by monday it will all be sorted and we can start taking bookings :)

Nice one Mat. Cheers for sorting all of this out. Can't wait to get started on the cider again :)

Lets hope its dry and clear David, i gotta fix my caravan fridge too ( for the cider ) :)

Not sure how this works - what do you generally do - telescope until too tired and then start drinking?, drinking during telescope time (making it even harder and colder observing) ?or drinking during the day then pot luck whether any observing is done at all?

Am I making it a bit obvious I'm new to all this?

im going to be a spoil sport now and declare i rarely drink :) maybe one to help get me to sleep but thats it lol

If the forecast is bad ( 100% cloud cover no chance of observing ), plan b is to sit outside on a deck chair and get incredably drunk but at lucksall we had a few quiet ones in the afternoon ( it was very hot and that's my excuse ) and we had a couple while we was observing .

im going to be a spoil sport now and declare i rarely drink :rolleyes: maybe one to help get me to sleep but thats it lol

+ 1

But I don't mind others drinking my share. :)

+ 1

But I don't mind others drinking my share. :)

Im not a massive drinker mike plus i wouldnt dream of getting merry while observing ( i woudnt want to drop a eyepiece :rolleyes: ),

Im going to the campsite sunday to have a look around and on monday i will need to know whos definately coming so i can place the booking.

I found the Ciders rather moreish! :)

What's phone signal like there mat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok,i popped to the site today theres a good phone signal there gaz ( well on orange anyway ),its in a very secluded location so the light pollution sould be almost nill.It would provide a good place for a starparty if the skies are clear.The only thing is you have to use the mountain road past usk reservoir to get to the campsite so for caravans or motorhomes this may be tricky.Im going to have a look at 2 more this week,i dont want to rush because i want to make sure we pick the right site.

thanks for taking the time and effort to do it Matt - looks like I've got the go ahead from the boss so count me in - now gotta hunt the tent from the depths of the attic.

No probs steve,i bet the sky there will be awesome if its clear but theres 2 others i want to check first,its not far from the trecastle site.

Was it a much smaller site than lucksall Mat? Did there look to be a quieter area to pitch our tents tucked away in a far corner away from lights and everyone else, etc?