Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Blimey - it's fresh out there!

After a hard day working on the conservatory, I treated myself to a few hours as the sky was nice and clear. It got down to -4 and I thought that would do!!!!

Must be getting soft in my old age! What's that word that Gaz uses.... oh yeah, Nesh!

Took some more images of Orion nebula and Saturn before my butt froze, will process later and post if worthy.

Also got my last effort at SLR images back today, so I need to go through them - don't know if I'll get a chance before the SP. If Wales is as clear as it was for me tonight, we should be in for a treat!!

Well done Daz, I got out for an hour before the clouds came, I really wanted to get some good looks at Saturn but it wasn't to be.

I'm glad I've got "quick look" and a "main" setups, I've had several times recently where I was packed away and back in doors within an hour of setting up.!! It's handy to have a small mount for those "maybe" nights.

I have been thinking about a smaller grab-n-go, but as we've talked about before, if I can't be bothered to set up the 8", can I be bothered at all??

Might be different if I had the gear I suppose, but I do love my skywatcher and I would not like to relegate that to the shed!!

Saturn was looking very nice this morning, I've done a quick process on the AVI I shot and that'll be up soon!

Caution on these cold nights is very much recomended guys... -4 is plenty cold enough me thinks!!!

The grab n go is very much in my mind right now!. This is why I'm looking to buy a Sentinal 80 on an astro 3!! @ £249 thats a bargin!

Rob

Wasn't quite -4 for me last night but it was cooler than I wanted!

The super quality seeing drove me outside from in front of the warm fire.

I wanted to try out some new filters on Mars.

The seeing must have been good 'cos even with the magnification for the TAL 100RS at the theoretical limit of 200x - with a mid red filter and a shrinking Mars I got some excellent sharp images of the planet. Patrick Moore says he doesn't like using filters on Mars but I've found it helps. The HEQ5 mount also performed well at the very low temperatures for the hour or so that I was out ( Not all the time on Mars!). I'd heard somewhere that this mount could be suspect at low temperatures,so was quite pleased.

Clear skies

Moondog

Hi Moondog,

Sounds like you had a pleasent evening under the Stars, the HEQ5 has performed well for me in -10 condtions so i dont think there's a problem with the Mount in Low Temps.

Using filters on Mars certainly helps esp using differant coloured filters shows differant details i would reccomend using them personally.

James :clouds1:

I have been thinking about a smaller grab-n-go, but as we've talked about before, if I can't be bothered to set up the 8", can I be bothered at all??

Thats always been my attitude, it's just handy when I've been working a 12 hr shift and I just want a "quick-fix"

TBH I set up both scopes together more often then just the grab'n'go on its own, but then I take the EQ6 back in earlier on while I've still got the energy!

I've gone out occasionally in temps as low as -18, but you have to be careful to dress for it. Felt boots, a parka and a toque (wool cap) are standard issue. If it gets much below that, I give up. Our nighttime temps just now are about 0 to -7. Fresh, indeed! A thermos of tea isn't a bad idea, either.

Archived