Narrowband

Plato eyepiece projection

MikeD

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the dumb question. I'm struggling to image the Moon now. I'm using a webcam in prime focus. What do you mean by eyepiece projection? Do you attach the webcam to the eyepiece by using some sort of adapter?

Thanks

Thanks all.:icon_salut:

OH that is very impressive, I must try some projection as the adapter arrived last week, any tips?

I wouldn't go anything higher than 10mm, and then start off with the ccd chip as close to the ep as possible and then increase the distance between the ep and ccd until you see the quality of the image drop off.

Sorry for the dumb question. I'm struggling to image the Moon now. I'm using a webcam in prime focus. What do you mean by eyepiece projection? Do you attach the webcam to the eyepiece by using some sort of adapter?

Thanks

That's it in a nutshell.:icon_salut:

Mike.

:D the moon doesnt get enough credit sometimes alot od DSO hunters slate it but when you see an image like this how can they ignore something so close to us. very nice work :icon_salut:

I am a DSO hunter, and I am sure no one realy slates the moon. It's more of a case of if you are focused on a DSO project and you get a small window of weather to get on with that project only to realise the moon is going to put pay to any data collecting it can be frustrating.

I do try to get back to some Luna and planetary imaging (usually after a big DSO project) because apart from the moon being so beautiful Luna imaging is more hands on than DSO imaging.

Mike

Amazing. Interesting also as I had been doing eyepiece projection onto my DSLR with a Baader Hyperion 13mm (example of Plato here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ejwwest/6810819625/ )and concluded I couldn't get the quality due to the longer exposures and very low frame rate, so bought a DFK21AU618 for use at prime focus and am starting to get reasonable results. I'll push that as far as I can before considering using the DFK with the eyepiece.

I've been doing prime focus dslr and webcam imaging of the moon and planets for a while but your image has convinced me to have a go at eyepiece projection. Adapter just ordered and look forward to seeing what I can get - cheers for the inspiration!

I would sincerely hope the moon remains a popular imaging target.

It's certainly safe as such, when images of this quality are forthcoming.

Your lunar work is quite legendary on SGL Mike, but probably moreso under your old SGL name.

Terrific job you've done on this mosaic, and I like many others hope you never tire of lunar imagery, it's always such a pleasure :).

Ron.

Archived