SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Synscan 3.28 Beta Polar Re-Alignment Feature

I normally use EQMod exclusively these days, but I thought I give this beta a whirl, just to try out the new Polar Re-Alignment Feature.

The purpose of the Polar Re-Alignment Feature is to allow you to adjust your polar alignment (funnily enough), after you have performed the usual 2 or 3 star alignment.

Basically, after completing your star alignment, you select Polar Re-align from the handset menu, and it walks you through the process. Interestingly, it only requires you to select a single star from a list, centre it using the handset and then centre it again using the AltAz bolts after the mount has slewed a correctional distance away.

Well, I've just started running off a test set of subs after parking and re-attaching EQMod, and I have to say this new feature has impressed me, both with its ease of use and its utility. The whole process was so simple, it was complete in a couple of minutes. It was so straightforward, I ran another 3-star alignment immediately afterwards, and started the Polar Re-align again!

The interesting thing about the second run-through was although each of the 3 alignment stars were in the field of view (they weren't the first time - my shocking PA for you!), they weren't all that close to the centre. But when I came to run the Re-align, it was absolutely spot on. Spot on! Didn't have to adjust the AltAz bolts at all!

So. I was impressed then .... but the proof as always, is in the pudding as they say. So I'm just running some test subs of the area around NGC2359 and intend to cover M81/M82 if the clouds stay away.

This is not an exhaustive test, simply a first "hands-on". I haven't encountered any problems with 3.28, but I haven't exactly stressed it either. The usual cautions about using beta software would apply. Still, at the moment, I think this would make a very useful tool when 3.28 goes live.

Test kit:

SW Quattro

NEQ6

Canon 500D running APT's Live View reticle for centering accuracy.

Hope you find this useful.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I down loaded it (without the help of a link - Google is your friend, sometimes!) and whilst the handset was powered, ran through the routine. The points at which your mount would normally be slewing, are replaced with an instantaneous beep, as if that action had been completed, but it does allow you to have a dry run.

I must say, the scrolling text instructions are a clear and concise walk though that will enable those less than confident in polar alignment to really hone their setup. Whilst I'm one of those who has to haul his mount and scope out onto the lawn every time I want to view/image, I've embedded some tiles, with drilled indentations, in the lawn to make my setup as instantly repeatable as possible. Each time has required a slightly reduced tweak of the polar alignment, compared to the last. For observation alone, I simply don't bother anymore - It's more than close enough.

It will be interesting to see what this beta brings to the party for imaging - Will I be able to finesse things to the point that for brighter subjects, I can get away without the laptop, guide camera and myriad wires? I guess the only way to find that out will be to confirm using the guide graph provided by PHD...

Russell

A repeatable setup is the aim for me as well as I don't have an obsy either. Any time saved when setting up is more time observing or imaging. Somehow I don't think you'll get away without guiding, although getting the best possible PA you can achieve easily and repeatably has got to be good!

Nice report Andy & thanks for the links.

Will be downloading the update & doing this.

No probs! :icon_salut:

It had a really positive effect on the image creep I normally get, but next time I'm out I shall probably try drift aligning with it as well, just to see what the results are like.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to upgrade my Synscan firmware, but I'm very wary about it. Is there a guide to doing this (I don't mean the one in the manual, I mean by somebody who's actually done it)?

Having upgraded, I gave it a quick go the other night just for a visual run. Seemed fairly easy and accurate. How accurate? Im not sure yet, but I will compare it with an EQmod alignment and a drift alignment next time i'm out.

For anyone who previously updated to a beta firmware - how long approximately does it take for the beta version to be confirmed as official? I know this can wildly vary depending on what the people in Skywatcher decide and how they look at it, but still - is it a matter of weeks, months or even more?

It sounds like the same features as Alignmaster software which I recently purchased.

Alignmaster generally gets very favourable reports, with a couple of exceptions that I have seen. It does appear to be quite fussy with regard to a very accurately levelled mount. Of course, the advantage of an upgrade to Synscan is that there is no extra outlay, and if it works, then it's all gravy! :).

Archived