Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Any Moonlite focuser owners?

After selling my goto dob and buying a 10" manual, I'm in the lucky position of having made a bit of a profit, which obviously I intend to invest in toys for the scope ;) I'm currently thinking of a nice Moonlite focuser; having looked at that I just have a couple of queries, so wondered if any owners out there might be able to help.

Do both the single and dual speed Moonlites fit 1.25" and 2" eyepieces? The standard SW focuser I've got allows me to get my eyepieces to focus easily, so would the standard 50mm travel be appropriate? I'd only be using it for visual. And does the installation kit fit the existing screw holes perfectly without the need for any drilling of the OTA at all?

I have one, it's a nice focuser, but why don't you e-mail your questions to the manufacturer? They're pretty detailed and so that's probably the best venue.

I'm sure they all take both eyepiece sizes. I'd guess the standard travel will work (ask the manufacturer and measure you travel). Drilling holes is a small price to pay for a nice focuser.

I have the MoonLite CR, dual rate, 1.75" compression ring drawtube, with shaft lock, mounted on an Orion (US) 8" newt which I suppose is identical to the Skywatcher 200P. It is my understanding that all their focusers are 2" and come with a 1.25" eyepiece adapter. And a slick little devil it is, if you're not careful it will slip right out as soon as you loosen the compression ring.

The universal install kit is tapped for something like 8 different mounting hole patterns and comes with all the necessary hardware. I've a bag of left over bolts. If there's any problem it's figuring out which set of holes to use from so many to chose from. I used toothpicks.

My scope has the focal plane at quite a distance outside the OTA and I took measurements with all my eyepieces to determine the location of the focal plane and the desired minimum and maximum heights of the eyepiece holder. The universal install kit handled that as well. Be sure to get the kit that is sized for your OTA.

One has the option of selecting quite a range of drawtube lengths but it's still up to the owner to mount the focuser at a height that will bracket the focus position of all their eyepieces.

Here's a pic with my Hyperion 5 mm. You can see the knob for the shaft lock adjacent to the left hand focus knob. Under the MoonLite Red body of the focuser you can see the 0.5" spacer, the 1" spacer and the curved base of the universal install kit.

From the first time I used this focuser it felt natural and left me wondering why all focusers aren't like this.

post-21623-133877757221_thumb.jpg

Archived