Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade series 5000 UWA 20mm 2inch

Bart

Hello all,

I wondered if anyone uses this in a F5 or F4.5 Dob/Newt and if so, whats their verdict? I'd like to get something in the 18mm or 20mm range and have spotted a good price in US for 20mm 2in. It would probably be this or an ES 18mm but there is a significant price difference.

Are the 5000 UWAs excellent EPs and almost the final stop before the green ones?

Thanks for any input or advice

Bart

I think the 20mm is part of the new 'waterproof' range of Meade 5000 UWAs. It replaces the previous 18mm, but as a new focal length, reviews may be a bit thin on the ground.

If it's up to the standard of the others then it should be a good eyepiece...

I used to have the Meade Series 14mm UWA I was well pleased with that, even in a 20" F/4.1 Dob (dubbed "sir Isaac"). The only reason I replaced it with a Nagler 12mm T4 was eye relief (14mm) which was just a touch short for me (I have to wear my glasses due to astigmatism). I only compared the 12T4 to the 14 directly in my 80mm F/6 and 8" F/10 scopes. No differences in quality were evident (except eye relief). In the F/4.1 scope I was using either my Nagler 17T4, 22T4 or Olly Penrice's 26T5, and the 14mm UWA made an excellent showing in that illustrious company as well. I do not know the 20mm, but if it is as good as the 14, it will be excellent.

Archived