SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Binocular thoughts

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Generally you only get what you pay for and with most viewing kit the more light down the EP the better, something like this would be better quality and gather more light....

First Light Optics - Helios Quantum 4 binoculars

pretty daft to suggest a set of binos at nearly 10x more expensive than the original post especially as they are not 10x50s, the lidl binos are normally rebadged Bressers and offer good value if you cannot afford to spend £110 on binos

Basically you need to do your own quality checks - that's why their cheap!

Binocularsky.com website has a section on how to do it.

Perry on mobile (so blame strange words on text prediction!)

This is true, the choices at the bottom of the market are:

cheap chinese imports, like these and countless others on Ebay

2nd hand 70s/80s binos like Zeniths or Regents or one of those dodgy made up german brands, these are all either early chinese imports or reasonable quality japanese.

If you want to shell out a little more try for a 2nd hand pair of Zeiss on Ebay.

I think the quality of the imports are getting better, Strathspeys for example are getting decent reports in S@N magazine

Lidl's have a money back guarantee so if your not satisfied you have a couple of weeks to get a refund I believe. I have a pair of Rocktrail binos purchased from Lidl's over a year ago and they are better for stargazing than some expensive ones I once owned.

I bought some bins not long ago thinking I was buying just a spare pouch to put bins in and I thought they would be rubbish..........they are not. They are cheap bins but comparing them to some others I rate them quite highly. I will also be taking a look in Lidl and may buy some just for the hell of it.

That's been my experience in researching and studying binoculars, it's a "you get what you pay for" as well as a "to each their own" in terms of preference. I have found a great appreciation in the fact that for some, a lower end binocular is the cadillac for their eyes as much as people who find a high end Nikon or Pentax as the ideal piece of equipment. As the above has supported, you truly never know!

I wish you the best in whatever decision you make ;)

Thanks for your thoughts. Seen people mention binoculars from Lidl before and wondered how these would compare. Think I will probably try them. And for that price it's not the end of the world if they aren't that good. I'm sure someone would make use of them.

Yes, I would agree the £25 offer fom FLO trumps Lidl £17:

- You don't have to pay petrol to drive to Lidl

- The extra £8 is also worth it as FLO has stated they will do a bit more quality check

Yes, I would agree the £25 offer fom FLO trumps Lidl £17:

- You don't have to pay petrol to drive to Lidl

- The extra £8 is also worth it as FLO has stated they will do a bit more quality check

Even though they are bak 7 rather than bak 4 from Lidl?

I have those Celestron binoculars that are being offered at £25 (I bought from Amazon in Jan for about £30) and find them to be great. I will admit I have no experience of higher cost / performance ones to compare them to but have used them at every opportunity. Haven't tried to use them for anything other than looking at the sky, but consider them to be money well spent.

At the end of the day the choice is yours to make. I have had some great stuff from Lidl and some naff stuff but I will certainly be checking them out. Whatever you buy will be ok if you have nothing to compare them to.

Archived