SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Meade 12" Lightbridge

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keep an eye on UK Astro Buy & Sell - try posting a "wanted" ad there. They really do work.

I've just sold a load of stuff including my C11 on there and I'm a fan but a want a new scope mainly because there is such a small saving buying used.

Dave

I've just sold a load of stuff including my C11 on there and I'm a fan but a want a new scope mainly because there is such a small saving buying used.

Dave

Buying used used to bring a really good saving. I paid £350 for my Lightbridge 12" a couple of years ago and sold it for more or less the same around a year later.

Frankly it's an awful time to be looking to buy equipment just at the moment. Stocks of the popular new scopes have been heavily depleted, supplies are slow in coming from the far east and the used market has gone rather bonkers :)

Patience is about all I can suggest ;)

The 10" is a great scope, it's heavy and is not easily moved in one unit.I can manage the ota separately from the base, wouldn't like anything heavier.

I love the transportability when taken apart. Ditch the rdf ( get a Telrad),ditch the battery pack ( noisy), ditch the silly plastic brake and stick some weights on. Sell the QX ('orrible) and get a shroud from astro boot (Astro-engineering) and an Orion dew shield,get a set of better springs from Bob's, nice.

got the 12.5" solid tube from the add in the back of A.N. yesterday with meade etx ep kit 5 filter's, red dot finder,revalation 10:1 new focuser and homemade trolley to drag everything in and out with ease(thanks mike) £400 result!;)

got the 12.5" solid tube from the add in the back of A.N. yesterday with meade etx ep kit 5 filter's, red dot finder,revalation 10:1 new focuser and homemade trolley to drag everything in and out with ease(thanks mike) £400 result!;)

Result indeed.

How about some pics then?:)

A 12" just been out on there it seemed. On telescope section ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spotted that on over the weekend, I've dropped the seller a note with a few questions but not had a reply as yet. However, it has two bids and is sitting at £370 with five days to go so it may go up a bit yet.

Any help with my search is much appreciated. I've pretty much decided to go down the used route and am also considering a solid tube dob as a 12" will fit in my car with ease.

Thanks

Dave

I spotted that on over the weekend, I've dropped the seller a note with a few questions but not had a reply as yet. However, it has two bids and is sitting at £370 with five days to go so it may go up a bit yet.

For some reason the eBay seller has decided not to respond to my questions so I'm not going to buy that one, it's currently at £460 with 2 1/2 days to go so it's bound to go up some more. Anyway all is now well, I picked my daughter up today from Epsom and as I wasn't too far from Telescope House at Lingfield I thought I'd give them a call, no 'new' ones in stock but a new one that had been used on a photo shoot and had the base built up. The deal was done and I now have a Lightbridge :icon_salut: I have no idea why I didn't call them before, I guess I just assumed that as they were the importer and as everywhere else was saying there was no stock that they wouldn't have one.

I've collimated then had a look at the Moon and Mars, the only things poking out periodically from behind the clouds. I can't pass comment on the views due to the ever present clouds but I'm sure it won't disappoint.

Dave

Dave

Wohoo. Good job.

When do you start modding it;)

Typed using fingers, sent by me..

Hi Tom,

Already started ordering bits and bobs :icon_salut: So far the list is Telrad, Astro Engineering Light Shroud, Bobs Knobs for the secondary & Bobs Knobs springs. What else do you recommend?

Dave

Hi Tom,

Already started ordering bits and bobs :) So far the list is Telrad, Astro Engineering Light Shroud, Bobs Knobs for the secondary & Bobs Knobs springs. What else do you recommend?

Dave

I had the Astrozap light shroud for my LB 12" which seemed to work very well. It's much more flexible than the AE one which makes the scope easier to handle in my view.

I used a Rigel Quikfinder alongside an 8x50 straight through optical finder on my scope.

If you start using 2" eyepieces you will need to consider counterweighting the bottom of the scope tube. I used a Meade SCT sliding C/W system for that purpose. Here is my LB 12" when it was "tricked out":

post-12764-133877759057_thumb.jpg

Archived