Another night, same results

As the others have said ,start from scratch , make sure the rubber o ring is in the slot, slacken the 2 screws off , insert finder , the o ring sits just inside the housing , and then turn the screws till you get the same view as your scope , no need to touch the silver sprung one , I did mine on the moon , lined it up to a crater near the edge. . . . Should have said with the moon not on it !!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would just like to thank brantuk for sorting out my scope. He made it look so easy! Can't wait to try it out on the next clear night.

Thanks so much brantuk, words cannot express my appreciation for what you did.

Cheers! ;)

EDIT: Would also like to add that I feel like an idiot after realising that I had the 10mm in all of this time! No wonder I found finding objects find with a misaligned finder. I assumed that because the 10mm eye hole was bigger, I thought you'd see more in it. The other eyepiece had a smaller eye hole so I assumed this was the 10mm! I think on my next clear night I will be able to see so much more and with much better results - I hope!

I have the same scope Wiki_Kiki i got rid off that finder scope and use red dot finder instead

Not saying its better or worse but for me its much easier to find stuff now

edit: red dot finder was around 20euro if I remember right

I have the same scope Wiki_Kiki i got rid off that finder scope and use red dot finder instead

Not saying its better or worse but for me its much easier to find stuff now

edit: red dot finder was around 20euro if I remember right

I use both - the Rigel to get me into the general area and the finderscope to get it exact. Probably unnecessary, I know.

I have the same issue with the red dot finder on my astromaster (I just can't seem to use it to find anything hence the telrad I'm hinting for my GF to get me for my B-day :-P ) but I have found that I cheat a little when it comes to finding planets.

I don't know if this is a fluke or not but so far I've found Jupiter, Venus, Mars and Saturn (and the moon too) with this method.

What I do is take my eyepiece out of the scope I then get the scope in roughly the area that I'm looking at and then gently sweep the scope across the area. Usually as the planets are quite bright I will see a small increase in the light along the inside of the focus tube (looks like a little torch light) I then move it so it moves upwards towards my eye until I can see the bright unfocused circular light then pop in an eyepiece and generally it will be within a small adjustment of the scope.

I know this is very haphazard but as I live in an area with bad light pollution (and the aforementioned red dot find nothing) I usually can make out just the brighter objects with the naked eye.

I have the same issue with the red dot finder on my astromaster (I just can't seem to use it to find anything hence the telrad I'm hinting for my GF to get me for my B-day :-P ) but I have found that I cheat a little when it comes to finding planets.

I don't know if this is a fluke or not but so far I've found Jupiter, Venus, Mars and Saturn (and the moon too) with this method.

What I do is take my eyepiece out of the scope I then get the scope in roughly the area that I'm looking at and then gently sweep the scope across the area. Usually as the planets are quite bright I will see a small increase in the light along the inside of the focus tube (looks like a little torch light) I then move it so it moves upwards towards my eye until I can see the bright unfocused circular light then pop in an eyepiece and generally it will be within a small adjustment of the scope.

I know this is very haphazard but as I live in an area with bad light pollution (and the aforementioned red dot find nothing) I usually can make out just the brighter objects with the naked eye.

your not alone with the astromaster red dot junk finder. i took mine off and just used a low mag e/p, now ive added a telrad and more than happy.

Archived