Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

light pollution fillters,any good or waste of money

Hi there SGL friends. anyone used or has any comments on light pollution fillters. Are they any good or are they a waste of money. Just thought i'd get some feed back before i went and bought one.

cheers chris

I see you use a 12" dobbie....

For visual:

If your light pollution is the old sodium yellow lights then an LP filter will help, if there's bright blue mercury vapour lamps around then slightly less and if you have the "new" LED lamps your screwed! (These LED lamps are now broad spectrum and unfortunately can't be filtered unless you start imaging with very narrow band filters....)

Edit: I should have added - you can always come over to the "Rainbow side" - spectroscopy - then light pollution doesn't matter at all!!!

Not sure if its any consillation but here is a 60sec image of 'with and without LP filter'

The LP filters work bettter photographically than visually.

I personally would go with an O-III or an UHC filter with your scope.

Regards Steve

The Baader Neodynium filter is a good one, also enhances planets like Mars and can also be used as a Moon filter.

+1 although I only use it for moon and planets, not light pollution even though it's bad where I live. increasing magnification helps a bit with LP too.

Archived