Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saw something pass the moon last night

symbiosis

I was observing the moon with a friend last night using my xbox cam in my scope and displaying it on my laptop screen. As we were looking, a black rounded looking object passed very quickly across the moon

My initial thoughts are that it was a satellite but I thought it was odd that the moon was obviously lit up but that the object was black - any thoughts on what it could have been?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was observing the moon this evening about 12.30am Spanish time and saw something 'similar'. I thought it was a bird flying past, but then figured birds don't fly at night and to be honest, I have never seen a bat here in the city. Who knows?

Most likely a bird. I was watching the Moon during the warbler migration once, and saw a bird every couple of minutes. Failing that, it could have been the Vogon mother ship. :icon_salut:

Oh, birds do fly at night. Owls, Nighthawks, Whippoorwills and some others mostly fly at night.

Most likely a bird. I was watching the Moon during the warbler migration once, and saw a bird every couple of minutes. Failing that, it could have been the Vogon mother ship. :icon_salut:

no that's not due for 2 weeks:) it could be bat/s

Funnily enough I was looking at the moon on Sunday night (1st April, and it`s no joke) at about 20:24 BST and I saw a circular object pass in front of it. It didn`t appear like the ISS because it was too circular. To be honest I put it down to something floating on my eye but I could not be sure. Strange!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what to make of a lot of that.

But what gives with this interveiw. It makes no sense that Cooper would destroy hes reputation, by making up silly stories. It must have been hard for him to speak out. He claims they have footage of a ET craft, that has never been allowed to be seen ? this is nuts.

If it was not for hes credentials i would dismiss it out of hand. But how can we ? this is no joke. He approached the UN

Why are people on this forum. Astronomers everywhere, afraid to talk about this credible testiomony ? It smacks of a belief not going hand in hand with what they want to be true.

Theres so much rubbish on this topic. A ton of rubbish, trash on youtube. But dont mix that up with other stuff, like this interview.

Big mistake comparing apples and oranges. Anyone care to explain why cooper is saying this stuff. Especially the landed ET craft he says hes sent to higher authoriety ? where is it ?

NASA Astronaut Maj. Gordon Cooper Talks About UFOs While In The Military - YouTube

Ian ridpath and others have said these guys where chasing a lighthouse, but a lighthouse or re entry of a satellite, do no not send down a pencil thin laser beam at there feet ? he descibes objects doing grid searches in the sky.

unless lighthouses have changed since i saw them, this explanation is about as crazy as what this military official of a nuclear installation is saying.

There appears to be quite a few of these milltary witnesses coming foward now. Its almost like this is only the tip of the iceberg, and we are hearing things that we would be actually reading if many of the documents currently being withheld in the states, were being released for public consumption.

I wasnt going to bother with this anymore, but wanted to see if any sensible comment might come from some brave enough to worry less about reputation, and being part of the acceptable crowd. And actually stand up and start asking questions.

Any takers ?

Charles Halt the second speaker on this vid

US Government ADMITS UFOs - Alien contact disclosed in Press Conference - YouTube

As you say, there are plenty of other disclosures from people in professional careers who risk everything by 'coming forward' - one example:

Thanks for the link, i can see your finding it hard to comment, but you left the link, so i can tell you want to, and i appreciate it. Its hard isnt it, join the club. you think im enjoying throwing my astronomy reputation down the gutter. But if folk cant seperate the two, then its worse than i thought.

Theres so many military witnesses, its quite shocking, the silence on these forums speaks volumes. Every time theres a non comment, it just goes to prove why its so easy to withhold documents and the kind of information that every body should be asking questions about. And up untill now everybody denies existed.

The silence is actually proving the ufo crowd correct in there assesment of skeptics and scientists.

No one has to belive in anything. But we do have to belive this testimony is happening, and deserves a response.

I guess many think it will all just go away, if like the ostrich theres enough sand.

Im actually quite concerned on the lack of debate ( its not a lack of interest not in a million years )

seems like fear to me.

Just goes to show how deep this fear really goes. And there can really be only two reasons. Both concern me as much as this information.

But its easier for me, i can concentrate on my astronomy, without having to kickstart questions, which obviously should be happening.

But didnt really want it to be me anyway. I am very shocked and more than a little surprised guys how deep this fear of being wrong seems to be going.

Its actually making me lean more towards some of this information possibly being true. Because i was hoping some on here could help me understand why it is just not so.

It seems what they ( the ufo crowd ) have been saying about us all ( i say us all because i like to think im level headed with Astronomy experiance ) is correct.

Thats rather disturbing to me. And a little shocking in itself. It seems like it really is easier to say nothing. But ive never liked towing the line through fear. A bird flying past the moon and all with expert knowledge come flooding out. To explain it as such like some kind of victory.

I can only assume they cant explain this, and or are just too scared to even try, which again concerns me, because its proving the ufo crowd correct. Every time i try to talk on here about this, a part of me hesitates, then i think if i dont press the button. Im that ostrich too, and i dont want to be. Im not true to myself or my children if i am. Sorry if im sounding a little negative, but im dissapointed guys.

Neil. Have you experienced or witnessed any UFO activity yourself?

Depends what you mean by ufo activity. Yes ive seen at least one thing i struggled to explain. Doesnt mean it cant be explained in rational terms. But i struggled and still do. The files for that period are exempt for release, even though everything around that period before and after were being released, which confused me even more. why do you ask. and thanks for at least saying something even if it was a question.

I was kind of wondering, because there are a lot of statements from pilots and astronauts.

I guess pilots are not so likely to obtain footage because they are busy flying and there is limited view from aircraft.

These days there are a lot of amateur astronomers pointing cameras towards the sky but not so many astronomers seem to be reporting unexplained observations.

I was kind of wondering, because there are a lot of statements from pilots and astronauts.

I guess pilots are not so likely to obtain footage because they are busy flying and there is limited view from aircraft.

These days there are a lot of amateur astronomers pointing cameras towards the sky but not so many astronomers seem to be reporting unexplained observations.

That in itself is an interesting cyclical event.

If you have newbie astronomers coming along and witnessing something inexplicable (assuming relative intelligence and physics knowledge) then will they fill the stereotypical 'newb' niche and ask, at risk of being ridiculed, or just go with the flow of the apparent null-zone of discussion on said issue?

Mimetically, the pro-stronomers won't risk getting ridiculed and having their credence damaged by raising a concern over an observation officially. They will register an anomaly, perhaps even manage to record it somehow, but will ultimately think of a semi-rational explanation and attempt to cast it aside as a fluke comet or electrical atmospheric discharge.

Assuming that we all know what 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' is, a Doctor who diagnoses it is shunned by colleagues as it is an idiopathic condition - it has no precursors or causes, but it just *is*. It could be argued that Astronomers are the experts in this field, and they wouldn't dare acknowledge or even humour the fact that UFOs (whether terrestrial origin, or otherwise) exist, for fear of being stereotyped as a 'nut job' or 'UFO geek'.

I've spoken to many people of all walks of life and they majoritively have seen something odd, or know of immediate family who have - from professionals in the Police, Military, Aeronautics, NHS etc. These people are expert witnesses in their own fields, and are intelligent persons.

Most likely a bird. I was watching the Moon during the warbler migration once, and saw a bird every couple of minutes. Failing that, it could have been the Vogon mother ship. :)

Oh, birds do fly at night. Owls, Nighthawks, Whippoorwills and some others mostly fly at night.

The likelihood of a bird passing over the same region of the full-moon in both the location of Spain and wherever Symbiosis is, is (pardon the phrase) astronomically unlikely to occur. This was clearly a space born object of some description, if both accounts are true.

Maybe they do but for the most part are explained away. like on here. Maybe they dont report them as often for fear of ridicule. Ive read of a few astronomers reporting unusual sightings.

Unusual sightings are for the most part rare events, i certainly saw nothing for years of observing, Just like you and others here.

But saw something pretty odd in 1995. I think its possible like a car crash ( ive only seen one in my life ) they might be rare events. But, define rare ?

Rare to observers, but not rare in reality, how many car crashes happen each month in the uk. How many did you personally witness ? but car crashes are reported.

If we confined car crash reports to only astronomers even less would be reported.

I can see your logic. But under closer scrutiny i think it can fail to be absolutely definitive for the reasons mentioned.

I think all these things might explain what you have asked. I belive astronomers can quite easily go there whole life, and only ever see satellites balloons ect.

But ive seen reports by them on occasion.

you would also be surprised how many astronomers actually are not paying attention to all parts of the sky, because they are busy looking for another target or what ever. I have on occasion just witnessed a fireball or meteor. That i could quite easily have missed.

Of course this holds less true for a star party For example . But i belive the interesting reports, or even films, might be rarer than the popular myth of ufos suggests to those that try to compare what your asking.

Theres a lot of rubbish out there. And a lot of rubbish footage. But not all of it.

like the ufos recorded in mexico, by pilots with flir cameras. some explained them as oil wells. But that explanation seems absurd to me, Just another absurd explanation after another it seems. Dont forget the really interesting films that we are not seeing. The classified ones. Like the one gordon cooper talks about. I dont have all the answers.

But my points might be relevent. I certainly dont belive all these high profile quality witnesses are making it up. There has to be a explanation. At the moment im not sure what it is. But it appears that very unususal things have been seen from quite a lot of people. And it appears theres quality data that we are not being allowed to see. its hard to answer these types of questions, when all the evidence is not presently on the table. Feel free to disagree. and help me explain these reports in another way. lets start with gordon cooper and charles halt on the vids posted. BTW those military guys say photos were also taken. But they was told all of them failed to come out ? 99.9% of sightings are easily explained. Especially from inexperianced observers. So theres actually not that much real interesting reports out there its all blown out of proportion. But there are some hardcore ones that defy explanation. Since the 40s they appear to be mounting, especially if one considers the radar military reports that are being spoken about, that are being classified.

P.S. There is a wider discussion here: http://stargazerslounge.com/2256259-post320.html :)

I will have a look

for phil fargaze

Heres some information i didnt know about, that astronomer Allen Hynek reported

Heres the copy underneath

Astronomer reports

The United States Air Force's Project Blue Book files indicate that approximately 1 %[77] of all unknown reports came from amateur and professional astronomers or other users of telescopes (such as missile trackers or surveyors). In 1952, astronomer J. Allen Hynek, then a consultant to Blue Book, conducted a small survey of 45 fellow professional astronomers. Five reported UFO sightings (about 11%). In the 1970s, astrophysicist Peter A. Sturrock conducted two large surveys of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics and American Astronomical Society. About 5 % of the members polled indicated that they had had UFO sightings.

Astronomer Clyde Tombaugh, who admitted to six UFO sightings, including three green fireballs, supported the Extraterrestrial hypothesis (ETH) for UFOs and stated he thought scientists who dismissed it without study were being "unscientific". Another astronomer was Lincoln LaPaz, who had headed the Air Force's investigation into the green fireballs and other UFO phenomena in New Mexico. LaPaz reported two personal sightings, one of a green fireball, the other of an anomalous disc-like object. (Both Tombaugh and LaPaz were part of Hynek's 1952 survey.) Hynek himself took two photos through the window of a commercial airliner of a disc-like object that seemed to pace his aircraft.[78] Even later UFO debunker Donald Menzel filed a UFO report in 1949.

In 1980, a survey of 1800 members of various amateur astronomer associations by Gert Helb and Hynek for the Center for UFO Studies (CUFOS) found that 24 % responded "yes" to the question "Have you ever observed an object which resisted your most exhaustive efforts at identification?"[79]

And heres a example of everything ive just said from the ridicule, to the reporting. Though in this case he didnt keep it to himself, some may well do

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-reports/185203-odd-sighting-last-night.html

I once tried to film what i took to be NOS satellites. But my video camera struggled to pick them up how ever hard i tried. There was a large amount of reports of a unusual object reported on here by me and many other well known faces. It was explained as a satellite giving off gas if i remember correctly. The interesting thing was i didnt get any photos, and not many, ( if any ) were submitted on here from quite a few of us that saw this and reported it. So cameras we own or not, doesnt

guarantee a photo even when the object looked particulaly odd. which this did, and was reported as such.

The difference with this sighting was thousands saw it. And when it became clear it was ok to report, and others had seen it too. more started reporting it. It became acceptable, and it was ok to do so. Im not sure thats always the case if a astronomer sees something strange. and he sees no other reports by people, he may well not report it. As ive struggled myself to do with what i saw in 1995. The fear extends to me too. Dont think for one min, that it doesnt. Astronomers it seems do report unusual sightings, though possibly in some cases reluctantly or not at all. It may well depend on the individual, and circumstances surrounding what was seen ?

I think this is more complicated than at first glance. And may well have turned into a social issue, rather than a scientific one. Something Hynek was trying hard to change. But seems for the most part to have failed quite miserably with. Though its not really through any fault of hes own i dont think

That in itself is an interesting cyclical event.

If you have newbie astronomers coming along and witnessing something inexplicable (assuming relative intelligence and physics knowledge) then will they fill the stereotypical 'newb' niche and ask, at risk of being ridiculed, or just go with the flow of the apparent null-zone of discussion on said issue?

Mimetically, the pro-stronomers won't risk getting ridiculed and having their credence damaged by raising a concern over an observation officially. They will register an anomaly, perhaps even manage to record it somehow, but will ultimately think of a semi-rational explanation and attempt to cast it aside as a fluke comet or electrical atmospheric discharge.

Assuming that we all know what 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' is, a Doctor who diagnoses it is shunned by colleagues as it is an idiopathic condition - it has no precursors or causes, but it just *is*. It could be argued that Astronomers are the experts in this field, and they wouldn't dare acknowledge or even humour the fact that UFOs (whether terrestrial origin, or otherwise) exist, for fear of being stereotyped as a 'nut job' or 'UFO geek'.

I've spoken to many people of all walks of life and they majoritively have seen something odd, or know of immediate family who have - from professionals in the Police, Military, Aeronautics, NHS etc. These people are expert witnesses in their own fields, and are intelligent persons.

This is the social problem i mentioned. And its un scientific. No body wants to lose face especially me. Yet im trying to open this up as a discusssion, because of some of the quality witnesses that are now coming foward.

We have to embrace discussion. we dont have to embrace belief. as belief requires evidence. And the evidence may not be to everbodys satisfaction. Which is scientific. Ignorance and denial are not

Archived