Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn from home...29th March

Kokatha man

We imaged Saturn & Mars from home again yesterday morning (29th March local time) and whilst seeing is rarely good from here we managed a few passable recordings: Mars was a bit of a dead loss apart from iR742nM's but the Saturns looked a little better onscreen in comparison.....I think there might be one or two better recordings but this is the first I've been able to process due to work commitments - but thought this passed a basic appraisal even if the onscreen images still suffered the "jitters" and the blue channel was very pedestrian, so here it is! :( - hopefully some better seeing as opposition rapidly approaches..!

As mentioned, I have a fair idea there's better amongst them, but work commitments are really hampering my ability to go through them and process to see if it's true atm.....:(

post-16205-133877755991_thumb.jpg

Heh-hee fellas, I love my work and also my play but the work also entails commitments to other people and the gallery involved, so I must give it some priorities.....I've looked through this night's lot and am pretty sure I can improve on this image a fair bit but right now I'm going inside to veg out in front of the tv for a while!:)

Seeing is looking pretty atrocious here for the next week or so Karlo and that also includes our favourite dark sites (unless I went about 300 or more miles North) so it's just the old wait and see thing for us in the interim.....but remember that Saturn's opposition is only 17 days away folks!:(:(

We imaged Saturn & Mars from home again yesterday morning (29th March local time) and whilst seeing is rarely good from here we managed a few passable recordings: Mars was a bit of a dead loss apart from iR742nM's but the Saturns looked a little better onscreen in comparison.....I think there might be one or two better recordings but this is the first I've been able to process due to work commitments - but thought this passed a basic appraisal even if the onscreen images still suffered the "jitters" and the blue channel was very pedestrian, so here it is! ;) - hopefully some better seeing as opposition rapidly approaches..!

As mentioned, I have a fair idea there's better amongst them, but work commitments are really hampering my ability to go through them and process to see if it's true atm.....:)

Hi Darryl why is it dongles destroy jpgs with noise, but pngs look fine.Icant really see this too well it hasnt faired well with my dongle, some jpgs semm to do a bit better than others why i dont know. What i can see looks good, if look through the dongle compression

.....can't help you there Neil - when I use a dongle outbush I don't experience any of the problems you describe, perhaps there are other factors coming into play?!?

Did you try "Save as Target" that animation of mine to see if you can play it ok that way..?

Anyway, Karlo asking about my dark sky site had me trundle out an image from the 9th which I had not posted anywhere before and included it in the thread over on CN.....so here it is now on SGL.;)

I think it gives a fairly clear indication of why we go out there (well, one of the reasons) and on another note but I suppose related I'd just like to politley refute Rob's suggestion that good imaging for both Mars and Saturn was only possible from more Northerly latitudes in Oz this year.....but he does get confused quite easily and I think he was only trying to make his mates feel better..!:);)

I'll post some more later today hopefully from both dates and locations.....:p

post-16205-133877756406_thumb.jpg

Thats the kind of quality i want, but probably not going to get at this elevation or even the size of optics, probablly both. We live in hope, great capture.

No i havent tried to download, ill have look at some point, been stressed out with the processing deleting captureing of late. Its a mad hobby.

Thats the kind of quality i want, but probably not going to get at this elevation or even the size of optics, probablly both. We live in hope, great capture.

No i havent tried to download, ill have look at some point, been stressed out with the processing deleting captureing of late. Its a mad hobby.

If you're referring to how much you keep and what you delete there Neil it does become a bit of a dilemma at times and I sometimes feel quite sure that I've actually turfed out very good data along with rubbish at times.....and that's not counting the accidental deletions I've made at times..!;)

Thanks D.....of course the elevation is great for us in the Sthn Hemisphere now, although these things are allways dynamic and you folks in the North are getting Jupiter rising higher for the next few years as compensation.....if I can last another half-dozen or so years I'd love to get the array of high-elevation planets that we're promised down here then....!;)

very nice Darryl, when I started reading the post I wanted to ask you why do you bother to go somewhere else with these results - but you already answered and very convincingly too if I may add :-)

Heh - hee.....it'll be something like that with Jupiter from around this part of Oz this next apparition Stuart - but Oz is a big country and I can steal 20 degrees or so if we go North for a spell around opposition...

And yes Dror, sometimes we get passable seeing and occassionally even good seeing from home, but rarely great seeing.....and we enjoy going a couple of hours drive North or so - matter of fact we'll head off on Tuesday (day after tomorrow) as my work rate has got me back in the black again..!:););)

Archived