Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ring nebula.

DazC

Hi all

I was out in the garden at 3.30 this morning looking at M13 & M92. Both were beautiful, the seeing wasn't amazing but it was good enough to see those two clusters clearly.

While i was in that area i thought i'd have a look for the ring nebula. I looked and looked with my 32mm ep for the best part of 45 minutes but came up with nothing.

Is the ring a hard target to bag?

How big should it apear in my 32mm ep?

Is it a bright nebula like M42 or a very faint nebula?

Should i be able to see it with a 130mm scope?

Please help, this is an M that i would love to add to my list.

Thanks.

D.C

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you will see it with your scope. its small compared to m42. but its bright enough to catch the eye with direct vision. your view with a 32mm e/p. would make it look like a bloated star in size but id doubt youd see the dounut centre ,i didnt on low mag.

if you locate the two stars below vega sulafat and sheliak and scan the line between those slowly you should see it,

good luck.

totally agree with rory. get to the right area with your finder / 32mm but then increase the power and you should see it. the PN is much smaller than M32 but quite bright. it's really obvious when in the field of view at about 70-100x.

Thanks fellas, that's cheered me up a bit. I'll keep looking and throw a bit more mag at it next time.

Hope it's clear tomorrow morning!

D.C

ive not seen it at higher magnification yet. when i first viewed m57 i only owned my 32mm which gives x31. so im looking foward to seeing it again.

you could have 'seen' in but not know you have! As others have said it's quite small - compared to the globulars you observed but once 'found' you will have no problem finding it again as you will know what to expect - which happens a lot with DSO.

andrew

That depends on your scope

well yeah i agree with you there, but im only useing a 90mm cheapo refractor and i found it to be fairly bright. of course i say bright as in compared to alot of other dso's.

id class it as a good beginers dso, as its location and brightness is a plus.

fair enough! i have a 70mm refractor and its pretty poor

still good going in a 70mm.good find. as with most nebula and other dso's, a good transparent steady sky and no moon about helps tons.

i only had one e/p first time i saw her, now i have a whole two ;)

FINALLY!!

I found the ring nebula this morning at around 3.30. I used my tmb 7mm (93x). The seeing wasn't very good, i think there was a lot of moisture in the atmosphere plus the nearly full moon behind me didn't help.

I'll be having another go at it when there is a new moon and when the weather lets me. I can't wait.

I see what people were saying about it being small and needing mag, but 93x is all i have. Still it's a nice one to tick on the list.

Thanks everyone.

D.C

nice one d.c, its unique isnt it. have you seen the dumbell nebula yet ? also worth the effort. i viewed both the ring and dumbell on the same night last year, both great nebula to view. good work.

Archived