Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What 100mm binocular?

Grunthos

Ok, it's official, I'm a bino junkie.

I received my (second hand) Garrett 15x70s a few weeks ago and, quite frankly have been surprised at her sheer quality (as well as frequency of use - this bin is just too damn handy).

I'll not bore you with the details but suffice it to say the Moon, Venus, Jupiter, Saturn and a wide variety of open clusters have been stared at :(

Here's the thing. I've now decided to sell one of my telescopes and think about buying a larger binocular (and a better mount as well - a P mount or T mount I would imagine...).

So....like the salivating pavlovian dog that I am, I ask the £64k question - which 100mm binocular?

I'm looking at "the usual Helios suspects" at the moment (listed below).

A compare and contrast would be greatly appreciated (or alternatives - e.g. Steve - you have the Miyauchi Bj-100B).

Must admit I'm tempted by the 7.4 at the moment mostly down to Mikes review on SGL. However, value for money issues are also tapping on my shoulder.:(

I'm in no rush, could also probably save a bit more cash or pray for another ABS "opportunity".

Oh the fun of decisions, decisions:)

I totally agree. The only "limitation" of my new 15x70's is the sore neck syndrome I suffer.:)

45 or 90 deg angled EPs are mandatory for a larger binocular. Looking again at some of your photos, I'm actually thinking 90 would be best (which suggests a Quantum 6).

Don't think the trusty Horizon 8115 woud take the weight or turning moment of a Quantum 6.

PS: I'd love a Starchair but the wallet can't stretch that far ;)

Hi Grunthos

It is no easy decision and, like buying a telescope, there is no perfect 'all-in-one' solution. The Quantum 7.4 is one class act and I still get the same feeling of excitement and anticipation when setting them up as I did when I first unpacked them. The 45 degree eyepiece angle was a massive improvement over straight-through binos, but you do well to consider the potential benefit of the 90 degree angle. I do find that during a viewing session I end up surrounded by a variety of chairs, stools and cushions necessary to obtain a comfortable position for different altitude observing. Near zenith I still end up using a kneeling mat, but the views are well worth it. I will get an observing chair eventually - just waiting for someone to come up with a motorised, equatorially mounted ironing board stool. Recently while tracking Comet Garradd higher and higher up through Draco and Ursa Major (these binos gave very good views of the Comet) I did yearn for the 90 degree alternatives. At the end of the day the ideal angle depends what you are looking at and is swings and roundabouts.

I cannot emphasise too strongly the advantages of being able to change the eyepieces for higher magnification views. Even at 25x the binos give pleasing and surprisingly detailed views of the main planets. Obviously the objects are small at this magnification but the two main bands on Jupiter and Saturn's rings can be clearly made out.

I have tried out a variety of eyepieces in the Q 7.4s and so far the best have been the Baader Hyperion 13 mm. These provide a magnification of 46x (or 55x with the 14 mm fine tuning ring). The 68 degrees FOV is ideal for me and just allows the full Moon in exquisite detail to fill the EP at 55x magnification. Although increased magnification tends to dim the background stars and reduce somewhat the immersive 'falling through space' effect, the detail on planets is enhanced and Saturn lacks nothing in Wow.

Care has to be taken with EPs as some, such as the comparable 17 mm Celestron Ultima LX, are too 'fat' to allow them to be squeezed together to achieve the right inter-pupillary distance.

I would love to try a pair of the Baader Hyperion zoom EPs in these binos as I reckon that combination could possibly represent the ultimate in binocular viewing, giving a range of magnifications of 25x, 30x, 50x and 75x

Archived