Yay! Proud owner of a 200P Dobsonian... BUT!

My 200P Dobsonian came today about 2 weeks ahead of schedule, thanks so much Steve and FLO - that service is phenomenal!

Now, I think I've set up everything properly and accurately according to the instructions, everything does what it's supposed to... I think! ;D

Now the moon is really high in the sky right now, and while I know it's blue skies surely I should be able to see some detail on the moon? Or at least get it into my eyepiece view. I can see it fine with some detail in the finder scope, but when it comes to the eyepiece, I can't seem to get it. Should I wait till the skies are darker, or is there a problem that I haven't noticed?

My knees are also hurting from having to bend down so low to look up at the moon... no pain no gain though! :(

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like the finder scope isn't properly alligned with the telescope. Check this during the day by looking at a distant object through the eyepiece (chimney pot, ariel or whatever - the further away the better). With this object in the centre of your field of view in the EP adjust the finder scope so the same object is in the middle of the cross hairs.

I am finding it difficult to adjust. The holder for the finderscope is very secure, and it seems adjusting it is very hard... I was tweaking it, but when I let go of the finderscope it fell off - luckily I caught it.. is there an easier way to make the finderscope go hand in hand with the eyepiece?

Have you checked the collimation of the telescope? When mine was delivered the mirrors were out of place, could that be a possibility? There should be some instructions on collimation that came with the telescope, but here is also a video I found really useful.

If it is the case that the collimation is out then good luck! I found it really frustrating at first, and when you just want to get out there and look at the universe it can be a right pain!

I am finding it difficult to adjust. The holder for the finderscope is very secure, and it seems adjusting it is very hard... I was tweaking it, but when I let go of the finderscope it fell off - luckily I caught it.. is there an easier way to make the finderscope go hand in hand with the eyepiece?

are you adjusting the finder scope using the 3 screw's 2 black 1 steel ?or the finder scope holder? which has 2 screws?

are you adjusting the finder scope using the 3 screw's 2 black 1 steel ?or the finder scope holder? which has 2 screws?

As above and have you got the rubber "O" ring around the front end of the finder tube, where it enters the holding bracket ?. The "O" ring holds the front of the finder firmly in place so that you can tilt it at the rear, as described by dtr42 above.

Thanks for all your answers. Having more fun with the finder scopes images right now than with the eyepieces, can't seem to get any detail whatsoever with anything and finding a star at all is dubious work. I got an image of the moon, but its really fuzzy and there is no detail or clearness in the image I get - I suspect collimation is the problem for this? Although there is a slight haze of cloud around the moon at the moment, but the finder scope looks at it perfectly and with nice detail.

As for the finder scope, yes, I put the rubber ring at the point where the groove is. I'm not sure how to tweak it with the screws though, when I fiddle with the screws nothing seems to occur only that it becomes loose - too loose! Also, the finderscope is firmly held and I cannot tilt it at all.

I am enjoying viewing the skies at the moment, only with the finder scope. The eyepieces are seemingly ineffective so far. Venus and Jupiter is coming up, any tips on how I can get this easier with the supplied eyepieces? I am not 100% sure which are which, but I assume the wide-field one is 25mm and the one with the small eye-hole (lol, my terminology..) is for detail. Both, nothing spectacular or worth shouting out.

Help please :\

When I looked at the moon through the OTA, I was turning the focus but all I saw was it going from big and fuzzy, to small and fuzzy.

Let me try again, but this time really slowly - maybe I will see some improvements! (fingers crossed)

If I get a good focus here, will that focus be the same/default for everything I see? or will it change depending on object?

Ok guys.. feel free to laugh! :(

All this time, I have been turning the wheel that makes the eyepiece part go further in/out... thats zoom/magnification isn't it? Not focus?.. (if it is focus then well... :))

Can someone tell me whereabouts the focus is? I have been turning this bit Image 1333053506-clip-7kb.jpg .. or if the image is a little unclear, the bit near the eyepiece but when you turn it, both of the circles turn.

Sorry guys... :(

Still very confused - sorry for this! Just wanna get some nice views on my first clear night :(

Here's some pics of the way it's all setup.

imag0215lz.jpg

imag0213e.jpg

imag0212q.jpg

The big part fits into the slot on the telescope, the next part fits into the bigger slot, and the eyepiece fits into the second part. I assume I've done this right?

YAY! Wow, I didn't think that without the big part it would fit in properly or securely - it does, and wow! I am AMAZED already! I got the moon into view, perfectly, and then it was blurry so I used the focus (not magnifier haha :() and wow, I have got a really nice crisp image of the sun that I'm amazed by.

Thanks guys, without you I would have been banging my head against the wall all night.

I'm gonna go and explore the skies now! Cheers, really really appreciate it.

no worries, give it two weeks and you'll be helping out too !

something else you can do is if the moon is too bright, the cover on your scope has two bungy type things on it.Pull the loose one off and put the cover back on so you are only viewing through the 2" ish hole.

have got a really nice crisp image of the sun that I'm amazed by

the moon looks good as well:) glad you got it sorted i wish you clear skies and warm night's with your scope

just to clarify 2 things !

1 - what country are you in

2 - i'm hoping when you say sun you mean moon

if you are looking at the sun i suggest you pop down to A and E but don't drive ...

:(

Archived