Quick DSLR "webcam" capture

iwatkins

Hi All,

Quick and dirty one from last night.

Canon 7D DSLR on dedicated flattener on SW 80ED. Using APT, captured 1000 frames (as JPEGs) from LiveView and stacked in Registax6. Seems to work OK.

Cheers

Ian

iwatkins-albums-lunar-picture16558-moon-2012-03-28.jpg

There's an article in May's Sky and Telescope (arrived today) about using a DSLR for planetary and lunar work. It depends on the video recording mode of recent DSLR (such as the 7D). My 40D doesn't have that, hence for me it was cheaper to get a CCD camera than upgrade from a 40D to a 7D.

Interesting. Isn't there a thread somewhere by Steppenwolf about using the video function on a Canon (something) to do this? Called something like "What? Steppenwolf doing lunar imaging?"

That was about using the program EOS_movrec which can take the liveview image and save it as an AVI - even though my EOS1000D doesn't have a video function, this program enables video to be captured. Tried it a few weeks ago and it worked quite well.

That was about using the program EOS_movrec which can take the liveview image and save it as an AVI - even though my EOS1000D doesn't have a video function, this program enables video to be captured. Tried it a few weeks ago and it worked quite well.

yup +1 with my 1000D.. found it much easier than using the webcam

Archived