Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

desert island Dob ep's

estwing

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

your not using high power just on planets and small objects with larger apertures you are zooming in on Galaxy cores, planetary nebulae, and the hearts of Globs. The 100 deg field is a winner on these.

D'Oh!

I have a 6mm Delos in a shopping cart at Telescop Express.

Do I take it out of the basket and replace it with an Ethos? For use in a 12" DOB?

If i was on an desert island and only had a choice of 2 EP's to bring...(assuming i already had a scope?)

I'd go for a 32mm GSO for the AMAZING scanning ability and very pleasing views. My second choice would be a Badder Hyperion 8-24mm zoom. It covers the whole range.

I've had very good luck with the 2x Powermate. If you plan to do a lot of barlowing of 2" Eps I think it is the one to have, as barrows can create focus problems sometimes (they can change the focus so that you might not have enough in-travel or out travel on your scope with certain Eps). Powermates don't do this.

I've had very good luck with the 2x Powermate. If you plan to do a lot of barlowing of 2" Eps I think it is the one to have, as barrows can create focus problems sometimes (they can change the focus so that you might not have enough in-travel or out travel on your scope with certain Eps). Powermates don't do this.

..can you explain why this is saleratus?

Here's Al Naglers explanation:

Concept: While Barlows are powerful tools, the negative element defining them also limits their ability. The simple negative element Barlow increases eyepiece eye-relief. With short focal length eyepieces the effect is negligible. However, on long focal length eyepieces the exit pupil position moves well beyond the designer's intended position, resulting in vignetting with many eyepieces. This is why "Shorty" Barlows in particular, with their strong negative element often vignette and degrade long focus eyepieces. My 4-element form picks up where the Barlow concept can go no further. Powermate™ is a technically universal solution, using a positive field lens to redirect field rays. The result is an exit pupil that stays where the eyepiece designer intended. With freedom from aberrations, greater magnification potential, and compact size, I hope you'll agree Powermate™ raises the standard for image amplification. — Al Nagler

Hope that makes it clear.

Archived