548140465_Animationchallenge.jpg.32379dfa6f3bf4bba537689690df680e.jpg

Saturn good seeing 28th March

neil phillips

Thanks Al i think some hints of storm detail can be seen, for 29 degrees i belived it was possible to get calm air, but started to think maybe i wouldnt get any reasonaable saturns this year. i will certainly try different processing as i noticed if i allow noise to creep in there was considerable storm detail there.

Cheers

Excellent Neil, was this f/6.3 ? and upscale ?

lovely processing and like colours, great result :(

Hi James yes its upscaled, 245mm optics on dim saturn is not enough for high FL work, unless its just the red, so i have been gradually pulling back, to try and get a balance of good histograms, and gain, slightly less than full, between about 80 to 95%. the histogram on this was 50% red and green, 40% blue ( i prefered to to keep gain down a touch on the blue ) rather than all 3 channels at 50 % histo

Cheers Guys

Excellent Neil, was this f/6.3 ? and upscale ?

lovely processing and like colours, great result :(

Think i should clarify a bit more than my last statement apologies James, really tired lately, been out 3 nights in a row had my primary out twice. mountains of data on my pc that i keep haveing to try and save or delete to make space for another session.

I used my 2x ultima barlow with quite a bit of tube extension, probably similar to using a 3.5 to 4x barlow at a guess, i did a x2 optimize on k3ccd tools saved the avis at 200%

run them on reg 6 with about 27 points i then gradually downsized the processed shots, comparing to a 100% shot, i just estimated this at about 135% resize James.

I think the trick with saturn is finding those focal lengths were the seeing is tolerated, and the camera can cope on greens and blues. i think here it was still pushing it a little, but it has coped both in seeing and camera settings just. Its not easy at this elevation smaller scopes will struggle especially using rgb. 245 mm using rgb, im struggling.

thanks all

Lovely shot Neil! gorgeous colours and that cassini going all the way round. A joy to behold!

its a little fuzzy at the front Stuart but its not something i can do much about i dont think, FL was pretty optimal seeing was as good as it gets for 29 degrees, even at 5x its been fuzzy at the front, i think its resolution thats causing that, meaning slightly larger optics is needed. I could be wrong but i think its that. time will tell, but i belive it will remain like this. Just to comment on my choice of processing, i could have created a much whiter balance, but i like to see the colours of the bands especially the red ring with richness. Its a bit harder i find to saturate and keep a neutral balance. though this was my first attempt im going to be playing with it, so we shall see what balances i can achieve. i also have another capture to be doing, that was also fairly calm