Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Quatermass

Needle Galaxy

cheers peter I have been working hard to get my focus better :(

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

wow lucky chap 16inch scope ohh want one :(

I certainly am fortunate. No way I could afford one these days.

Nice one QM. Do you have a production line running or something? :(

:) he he yes its the Quatermass galaxy production machine fuelled by mad enthusiasm and an obsession to image everything in the night sky, it will be my ruin I know it lol

Also all these lovely clear nights is keeping the production line going got to make the most of them for sure.:(

I know what you mean. We've been away for a short break and I've been out for the last 4 nights grabbing images. I'll post them up when I get organized :(.

I cant remember having such a run of good clear nights its brilliant, just wish this stinky cold would clear off so I can stop blowing my nose all night long.Mind you it might help if I went to bed at night instead of sitting for ours in the damp night air lol

We had a great spell of clear nights at the beginning of October last year, I think it was. By the end of it I was completely wrecked, and praying for rain! :(

looking forward to a nice cloudy spell so I can have a rest.

Wash your mouth out!!! :(:):(

Brilliant picture ..... love the detail in the dust lanes. I also took a pic of this galaxy but nowhere near as much detail as you have captured.

Did you do any special processing to bring out the dust detail? I do struggle with the processing and don't do anything fancy yet .... still learning. Also, I see you have taken lots of darks and flats which I do not do at the moment. Do the darks and flats make much difference to the final pics.

Anyway, great pic...keep up the good work.

Regards, Pete

Edited by pjmaciw

Looking good QM, this one is on my list along with the sombrero. Too tired after SGL7 to stay up, must be my age!

Brilliant picture ..... love the detail in the dust lanes. I also took a pic of this galaxy but nowhere near as much detail as you have captured.

Did you do any special processing to bring out the dust detail? I do struggle with the processing and don't do anything fancy yet .... still learning. Also, I see you have taken lots of darks and flats which I do not do at the moment. Do the darks and flats make much difference to the final pics.

Anyway, great pic...keep up the good work.

Regards, Pete

Thank you Pete I practise my processing in photoshop cs5 a lot using the highpass filter and hide all layer masks for finer details. I also use the sponge tool dodge and sharpen tools. To inhance colors I use hide all layers and curves. All on my blog and utube channel if you want to take a look.:(

Looking good QM, this one is on my list along with the sombrero. Too tired after SGL7 to stay up, must be my age!

Hi Spiky lol im getting tired now too many late nights :(

"Impressive.... Obi Wan has taught you well"

Excellent for such short subs, top marks.

Got a long way to go before I can reach the stanard of your great images Urainum but glad I got the evostar ed 80 to practise with this year :(

That's amazing QM. This one and your sombrero galaxy are my favourite. How is LP in your location? I noticed that you tend to go for ISO1600 lately.

Edited by pixueto

Cheers Badger its been an amazing run of clear nights I feel spoiled by all those galaxys :(