Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Zaine UK

Do The Streetlights Go Out Where You Live?

Where i live in Devon all the lights go out at 12:30am. It's dark anyway, but it still makes a hell of a difference. :(

Edited by Zaine UK

They all stay on all night and some of them stay on all day where we live.

As if. The cities where I come from are designed to feel like it's daytime as you sup on mojitos at 3am in the morning.

Edited by Qualia

I wish. Sick of streetlights around us just at moment as all the planets,moon etc and on the wrong side of our terrace ie west-facing on to our street rather than the backs. Contacted the town mayor regard turning lights off after certain time to save money not that anything come of it of course.

This is actually something I've noticed recently, one or two streetlights on my street have started to go off at 12:30 the same as you.

I'm chuffed with this, as one light that has plagued me alot now goes off :( It does make a massive difference!

I wish they did go out. However, I fear that I might lose my gear to looters, taking advantage of the cover of darkness. :-)

I live in Devon too Zaine, (East Devon near the Dorset border) and we also have lights out. It makes such a huge difference, last night at about 3am the Milky Way around Cygnus was breathtakingly beautiful and I could see M13 in Hercules with the naked eye albeit with averted vision.

The lights go out on the roads between the villages here in the SD Wales Valleys after midnight but annoyingly (for us stargazers at least) stay on in the villages themselves

The council have just started changing the street lighting and the orange glow i used to see from a village about 5 miles away has gone, they have white light type lamps now with better shielding, doing my village as i type...:(

I live in Devon too Zaine, (East Devon near the Dorset border) and we also have lights out. It makes such a huge difference, last night at about 3am the Milky Way around Cygnus was breathtakingly beautiful and I could see M13 in Hercules with the naked eye albeit with averted vision.

Cool, i live in Sidmouth.

Yup for me as well ( must be a Devon thing :( )

I live in a dark place anyway , you can make out m31 even with the lights on so when the street lights go out its really dark

Yup for me as well ( must be a Devon thing :( )

I live in a dark place anyway , you can make out m31 even with the lights on so when the street lights go out its really dark

I think it helps that the Norman Lockyer Observatory is on my doorstep. I'm sure some of the members are in the council? :(

I wish they did go out. However, I fear that I might lose my gear to looters, taking advantage of the cover of darkness. :-)

it might be safer, think of all the budding astronomers out there if we could only see something except orange:D

Pffft... Wishful thinking, there was a week once when storm damage took out the neighbourhood lights. It made quite a big difference too.

Then they fixed them.:(

They go out at 00:00 for me in Hertfordshire and it's brilliant. Make sure you write to your local council to thank them if they're being turned off near you. Currently my council receives a lot of complaints about lack of lighting after midnight so need all the positive responses they get!

My village in Devon turns them out at around 1-1.30. Should be earlier but it seems to have slipped a little. It can make a huge difference with SQM readings of 20.6 turning into 21.1 :(

James