Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just got these on eBay

sanmatt

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And there you were thinking astronomers were such a nice, polite innocent lot!
Huh? Our hobby is heavenly bodies!:(

Re the OP: My take on zoom binoculars is in the first bullet-point on BinocularSky - Evaluating Binoculars for Astronomy . Sorry.

However, despite my scathing opinion, you will see a lot more with a zoom binocular than without it. Now you have the binocular, probably the best advice is to find a setting that suits you near the low magnification end of the zoom range, and leave it there. When you are ready to move on to a non-zoom binocular, you may find BinocularSky - Choosing a First Binocular for Astronomy useful (note especially the section on realistic expectations).

Huh? Our hobby is heavenly bodies!:(

Re the OP: My take on zoom binoculars is in the first bullet-point on BinocularSky - Evaluating Binoculars for Astronomy . Sorry.

However, despite my scathing opinion, you will see a lot more with a zoom binocular than without it. Now you have the binocular, probably the best advice is to find a setting that suits you near the low magnification end of the zoom range, and leave it there. When you are ready to move on to a non-zoom binocular, you may find BinocularSky - Choosing a First Binocular for Astronomy useful (note especially the section on realistic expectations).

Oh well, least it wasnt loads of money. Yet Im still semi hopeful

A bit of humour is fine guys and gals, even in the form of innuendo, and double entendres.

Don't want to be a killjoy, but perhaps we can call a halt now, and discuss the merits of the Binos, which is what the thread was initiated for.

Thank you kindly :(.

Ron.

A bit of humour is fine guys and gals, even in the form of innuendo, and double entendres.

Don't want to be a killjoy, but perhaps we can call a halt now, and discuss the merits of the Binos, which is what the thread was initiated for.

Thank you kindly :(.

Ron.

fair comment ron. i time and a place for everything:)

well they've arrived, very well packaged and the woman across the road probably thinks I'm having a closer look at her mucky nets!

I can't quite close them up enough over my nose/face so I end up seeing double slightly.

And the eyepieces do not individually focus at all.

Gash.

That's standard practice for the vast majority of Bins. General focus to sharpness with the central knob then fine tune with the eyepiece until you have comfortable vision.

When you view through them do you see one circle or does it look like you have two circles overlapped? If it's the latter then yes, maybe your eyes are too close together for the particular bins you have and so can get them to adjust in far enough.

However, if you do see a single circle through the eypieces then it sounds more like a collimtation problem and not the adjustability of the bins.

Then it does sound like they aren't adjusting inwards enough and nothing wrong with the optics. Not much you can do i'm afraid. I must admit I have a fairly small head and my eyes aren't wide apart but i've never had a problem finding a pair that works for me. I must admit though, I always have bought new and tried before I bought.

I do have a small pair of Olympus Bins I no longer use that you can have. They aren't mega powerful and they are ageing but they're ideal for someone just trying out. They're very similar to these and I believe they ar the same power.

Olympus - 8x25 PC I

John

What part of "we don't want buying and selling on SGL" do you guys not get?

Some people moan that the moderation on SGL is over the top - but really is it any wonder that we have to moderate when this sort of thing goes on.

I am at a complete loss as to why you would so openly break one of the few rules that we have here. John I can forgive as he has only been here a short time, but you sanmatt you know about this and still you don't care...

Ant

no money is being paid other than postage, so there is no sale.

I do care, but compeltely forgot about that rule (I dont even remeber reading it but Im sure I have, I've just looked in the forum code of conduct page but I must be blind cos I cant see it, but Im sure it is), completely unintentional I do apolgise wholeheartedly. But there is no actual sale, John is giving them to me and I am just covering his postage.

Apologies to Ant but I could be suffering from early onset dementia alongside a free TV licence this year, so please excuse thread drift.

sanmatt,Notice you have a "laser pen".

Doesn't it ignite the paper you're writing on?

A very puzzled wrinkly

Some people moan that the moderation on SGL is over the top -

It is, by far, the most draconian of any of the half dozen different forums (fora, Bill?) I'm a member of.

Apologies to Ant but I could be suffering from early onset dementia alongside a free TV licence this year, so please excuse thread drift.

sanmatt,Notice you have a "laser pen".

Doesn't it ignite the paper you're writing on?

A very puzzled wrinkly

It doesn't ignite very much, not even the cat cares.

It's get cold quickly and fades after about a second. If I keep it warm in my hand, but for the whole length of the barrel- then I get a good, fairly long lasting burst of light.

It does need to be kept warm though. I find it's not enough to just keep it in my pocket. I have to hold the stupid thing for a little while before I use it. However, when it does work, then it's good, and nice and bright.

What part of "we don't want buying and selling on SGL" do you guys not get?

Some people moan that the moderation on SGL is over the top - but really is it any wonder that we have to moderate when this sort of thing goes on.

I am at a complete loss as to why you would so openly break one of the few rules that we have here. John I can forgive as he has only been here a short time, but you sanmatt you know about this and still you don't care...

Ant

Dear me.

Are you really serious?

The guy was just helping her out for goodness sake!

No buying, no selling... JUST HELPING. Is that too much for this forum?

Sounds like the only person that doesn't care is you Ant!

(I'll do my best to avoid any double -- and single ;) -- entendres in this reply)

If I keep it warm in my hand, but for the whole length of the barrel- then I get a good, fairly long lasting burst of light.

I use fingerless gloves when mine gets cold. I shove it alongside my index finger inside the glove with just the tip sticking out. I can activate it with my thumb, and I deem it rather cool the way it appears that the green beam is emerging from my pointing finger. :)

Archived