What eye piece for a Celestron C6-N

rios39

Currently I have a PL 20 MM. I'm looking to do planetary right now...

Few questions about it though as I'm a newb. Does the higher amount of MM mean clearer pic or ability to see further or is it the lower number you are looking for?

I'd like to get some good shots at mars, jupitor ect.

Also I think I will need to invest into some filters as it gets pretty bright the closer I rotate when viewing the moon...

Thanks.

I am afraid you may have misunderstood how eyepiece magnification is calculated. 'mm' stands for millimetres (a metric length measurement roughly equal to 0.04 inch) and it indicates the eyepiece's focal length. The magnification is calculated by dividing the telescope focal length by eyepiece focal length.

Your C6N has a focal length of 750mm. When you use your 20mm eyepiece on your telescope, it will produce 750/20=37.5x magnification.

You can read more about this in this primer

http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/63184-primer-understanding-choosing-eyepieces.html

For planets you can use higher power eyepiece with shorter focal length. You should consider a range of eyepiece which will give you a range of focal lengths up to 200-250x.

What is your budget? A 7mm Celestron Xcel LX and a Celestron Ultima barlow can give you 107x and 214x on your scope.

Thanks for the help. Makes sense now.

My budget for a good lens is pretty open to anything as long as it's not going to put me $500 dollars in the hole lol. I'll check out the 7mm..

The info you gave me about how the magnify works was a big help.

• 1 year later...

I am afraid you may have misunderstood how eyepiece magnification is calculated. 'mm' stands for millimetres (a metric length measurement roughly equal to 0.04 inch) and it indicates the eyepiece's focal length. The magnification is calculated by dividing the telescope focal length by eyepiece focal length.

Your C6N has a focal length of 750mm. When you use your 20mm eyepiece on your telescope, it will produce 750/20=37.5x magnification.

You can read more about this in this primer

http://stargazerslou...-eyepieces.html

For planets you can use higher power eyepiece with shorter focal length. You should consider a range of eyepiece which will give you a range of focal lengths up to 200-250x.

What is your budget? A 7mm Celestron Xcel LX and a Celestron Ultima barlow can give you 107x and 214x on your scope.

Has the primer disappeared? I tried the link which took me to another message saying the primer had been promoted to an article but that link took me nowhere. I'm looking to get a couple of eyepieces for my Celestron C6-N and had almost pressed the button on two BSTs (8mm and 18mm) then read this thread recommending the TS Planetary HRs for f5 scopes.

Archived