Hey guys, from Canada.

rios39

I'm new here obviously. I also am somewhat new to astronomy and viewing with a telescope. Bought a really nice one years ago but haven't used it much till lately... Just practicing lining the scopes out and practicing on the moon right now lol.

Anyway, I was searching the internet for a place to talk, ask questions and share info. Looked at the official magazine site and a few others but I decided to make this my home cause I like the lay out and graphics of this site much better. Not a fan of scrolling through bright white sites. I like the dark textures here.

Anyway, I am from Nova Scotia, Canada and you'll probably see a lot of me now...

Oh and this is my telescope. It came with a 20 MM Lens...Don't have any filters or anything yet..

Celestron C6-N Telescope

31056_c6n_large.jpg

Hello Rios and welcome. We have quite a strong contingent from Canada now. My daughter lives in Montreal and I've done a bit of observing round there. Minus 30 degrees in winter and plus 30 with mosquitos in summer - but some great skies and a really friendly bunch of amateur astronomers.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I would guess that you probably had a planetarium CD rom included with your scope, but I would like to suggest that you download a free piece of planetarium software called "Stellarium", you can take a look here. Its easy to use and can be configured to your observation location. There are plenty of "toys" to keep you out of mischief when the clouds come in. One of them, the advance date/time feature is really useful when you are planning on what you would like to see because you can advance the night sky to see when your objects will be in the sky for you. Particularly useful if your observing view is obstructed in anyway.

Clear skies for now and look forward to your questions over on the rest of the forum.

James

Archived